Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Hasty Pub Crawl Forced Upon Me

Yesterday at Scores
Yesterday saw a mid-day run up to New Hampshire to check in on Keene Friend who reported the return of some of those troubling lung symptoms. There was also the possibility of tax free shopping for my Panamanian contingent so we all know – that happened. After all the felines were properly herded we left for New Hampshire only 90 minutes after we planned but there wasn’t an iron clad schedule to maintain. I was happy to make the drive through winding back roads to give my wife’s uncle a view of small town New England as.
We arrived at Keene Friend’s house where my wife immediately began her “in your face” grilling of Keene Friend about his health condition. I think this may explain my good luck in that department. I wouldn’t want to face this type of questioning. Fortunately Keene Friend had all the right answers for her although the return of his persistent cough is troubling. My wife had him fully diagnosed within minutes and demanded he quit his job since, in her opinion, that’s what  is causing his issues. Blessedly his company’s HR department was closed yesterday for the holiday which kept her from contacting them.
Applebee Lunch
We settled for a very enjoyable lunch at Applebee’s which my wife’s uncle found exotic. I’m still not sure why. The Keene Applebee’s sits in close proximity to that sun source of my wife’s shopping world, TJ Maxx, and I could tell the siren call of shopping was drowning out all other concerns. As we finished up lunch she decreed I was being left in Keene Friend’s care while she and the other Panamanians descended on Keene” shopping establishments.
She’d forgotten her cell phone (suspiciously) so I couldn’t summon her at the agreed upon time for dinner. We established a firm 5:30pm rendezvous time in central Keene. Keene Friend and I grabbed another friend that is staying with him and made a bee line for Scores. Alas, our favorite sports bar was shuttered when we arrived, as was the nearby Lab ‘n Lager. This was quickly turning into a reverse pub crawl out of some Hitchcockian nightmare before we spotted an inviting “OPEN” sign in the window of the nearby Cobblestone Ale House. We quickly established a presence there and met the new owner, a young guy who really seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.
My Adviser on Timeliness Plans
We also ran into the sister of one of my oldest friends. That’s what I love about coming back to Keene – those nostalgia flows. Since we had to stand for the three rounds of beer and had become an item of interest of the drunken young man at the end of the bar I decided to check in on Scores and found it had now opened. We wandered down there for the rest of the afternoon to await that 5:30pm linkup. I immediately fell in love with the bar tendress, as I am wont to do. I think it was the yoga pants. It was a great afternoon surrounded by every conceivable televised sports contest. We watched the Red Sox blow another game but that and the subsequent arrival of the drunken dude from Cobblestone did nothing to dim the fun. Late in the afternoon Keene Friend 2 and his fiancĂ© wandered in to add to the mix. We all immediately began offering advice on their impending nuptials. Somewhere around five o’clock, under the influence of numerous rounds of adult beverages, I devised a plan to test my wife’s timeliness, which is akin to our president’s common sense level in terms of acuity.
At a Recent Neighborhood Birthday Party
I told everyone present that I wasn’t going to the rendezvous until 6:15pm, betting on her failure to meet the agreed upon time. My friends tried to talk me down, warning me that I was taking on some unneeded risk. I know their concern was based on my tales of her legendary feats of bending me to her will. I will admit to an elevated heart rate but I’d had enough to drink that I willingly took the peril. I received a FaceTime call from my granddaughter during this discussion and I ran the plan by her. She was supportive of my efforts to test limits; something she’s becoming an expert on.

At any rate, 6:15pm arrived at Scores and there had been no incursions by irate Panamanian women so I scurried across the street to Margarita’s where I waited an additional fifteen minutes until they showed up. My wife was properly apologetic about the hour long wait I had endured and I let her suffer until after the meal when we stopped by Keene Friend’s house. We revealed the success of my plan which counted on her unpunctuality as a critical element. She took the news in stride after several light blows to my head and shoulders. A good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment