Sunday, May 14, 2017

Panama Landfall

This Morning in the Church Where the Deed Was Done 35 Years Ago
So, I’m blogging from the heat and humidity of David, Panama but that’s just fine in my book because I’m surrounded by my wife’s inestimable family. Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers reading this, you are amazing. My wife used to have a very insightful t-shirt (yes that can happen) – it said “Army Wife – Toughest Job in the Army”. Truer words were never said. I’m constantly in awe of the sacrifices and boundless love mothers execute daily without a second thought. Of course I’m surrounded by excellent examples in the motherhood department. My Favorite Panamanian, our daughter, both of my sisters, the Neighborhood Mafioso, and so many friends all define what being a great mother is.
Last Night's Welcome Crew Surrounding my Wife
It’s weird because on Mother’s Day I always think back to my own mother who was a very complicated lady. Her later years were rife with contradictions that caused pain for each of her children in different fashions. I sometimes got the impression she wanted a second chance for some of those later years and I always force myself to think of my youth when she was without peer as a mom. She must have done something right because both of her daughters, my sisters, turned out to be fabulous mothers in their own right.
First Atlas Beer of the Trip(not the Last!)
Mother’s Day is celebrated in December here in Panamá and I always tell my wife if we are in Panamá in December she gets to celebrate it then. Of course, the reverse of that rule means we’re in Panama in May and so we shouldn’t celebrate it. I’m not that stupid. I woke her up with a couple cards I smuggled around her comprehensive luggage packing exercise. I also consented to go to church which turned out to be nostalgic in the extreme. Thirty five years ago we (well, mostly her) walked down the aisle to get married. It hasn’t changed at all (as Catholic churches are wont to do).

Outside the Church - Central Park of David
The flight down went perfectly except for the whole toothpaste explosion inside my toiletry bag. Everything was coated in Crest aqua blue – so I had that to sort out at the end of a long day traveling. We ended that day seated around the dining room table drinking Atlas beer (that was mostly me) and laughing almost non-stop. We also scored a couple FaceTime calls back to the US and talked with both the Favorite Son and the New Jersey contingent. The whole reason we came down here – for the first Homeowners’ Association meeting of our future condo has fallen through. The meeting was supposed to be today, hence the Mother’s Day travel, but as with most things Panamanian that was delayed at last minute. I don’t care, I needed the vacation and did I mention – Atlas Beer!
Looks Almost Finished

Standing Next to a Great Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment