Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Errand Day

Wife with her Guava
Every time I return to Panama I’m struck by how much it has changed, even in the short time that usually eclipses between my visits. Most of that thunderous development takes place in Panama City which is almost unrecognizable year to year with new buildings seeming to leap into the sky as if by some magical force. That’s one of the reasons I only visit the city if I have to. I miss the smaller, still chaotic version, from my lieutenant days in the early 1980s.  Everything must move on though and the burgeoning development is now arriving in my wife’s hometown of David.
I know this first hand because I spent yesterday driving around the city on a number of errands as we got some of the work done needed for the condo hand off in August. Driving anywhere in Panama is always an adventure but central David is becoming a true Mad Max scenario. I’ve come to dread seeing one of those damned yellow taxis zooming out of a wrong way street daring me not to swerve. My wife’s “excellent sense of direction” came into play as well. We had to visit a furniture store that is storing some of the condo’s furniture for us. We went up and down the same street three times until finding it. The frustrating part was I’d pointed out the store on the first trip and she had summarily dismissed my choice – such is marriage.
Part of the bank’s requirement for the loan was a physical which we also knocked out yesterday. I wrote last year while pursuing my resident status that I received a 15 second physical for that requirement. Apparently the banks care a lot more as  I got a thorough physical including an EKG and extensive probing by a seemingly very competent doctor.

The Atlas Cat
My wife was devouring some guava which looked like cotton candy and emerged from a long root like thing. We’d see all the movies showing in town so I spent the evening getting to know the cat that’s semi-resident at my mother in law’s house even though he’s not allowed inside. We discussed the excellence of Atlas beer while my wife was dispatched to buy a hat for me in preparation for today’s trip to the beach. I was laughingly asked if I wanted to accompany them on their shopping expedition.  That’s all for today as I gear up for our trip to Las Lajas and seeing the almost complete condo for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment