Friday, March 31, 2017

Security Breach and Imminence

Grampa - I'm Too Busy with These Legos to Have My Picture Taken
My paltry efforts at restricting the movements of the Wonder Pooch were thoroughly defeated yesterday as he seems to be enjoying his new found route to freedom. I tried wedging a carpet and weighing that down when I left for work. I came home to find he had forced the door open and had seriously compromised the pristinely shining floor near the front windows. I can only assume someone had the temerity to walk by the house on the sidewalk and he felt the need to warn them off in some enthusiastic fashion. I put him back downstairs and closed the door to see how he was doing it. I didn’t have long to wait. In less than ten seconds he was scratching at the area near the door knob and eventually hit it just right that the door popped open.
Evidence of the Crime
The Gate That Didn't Work and the Criminal
I stepped up my efforts by placing a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs figuring that would keep him from reaching the door. There was no immediate breach as I finished up pre-wifely return chores late last night. I awoke in the pre-dawn hours this morning and leaned over to see I still had forty five minutes before the alarm went off. It was at that point that I heard a mysterious thumping on the floor next to my bed. After my heart stopped racing I saw Buddy’s green eyes gleaming in the dark, he’d broken containment again!! I had no choice but go with the nuclear option and put him in his cage when I’m not home until I buy a better door wedge. So far I’m getting seriously outpointed by a dog.
Wife Surrounded by Pana-Gals Last Night

One of those late night chores involved taking a video call from Panama City where my wife travelled yesterday in preparation for her flight tonight into Boston. She was hanging out in the hotel bar with her sister and assorted cousins and looked to be having a great time; I’m sure some sangria was involved. I think the house is as ready as I can get it for her imminent return. I have the advantage of the newly renovated kitchen to distract her from some of my less successful cleaning efforts. All of the toilet seats have been lowered from their “present arms” position and even the microwave oven was cleaned. That was kind scary, like sci-fi level scary.  Apparently I have to take more care in the future in covering food up prior to nuking.

Sisters

When I finished my last book I found the latest C.J. Box book, Vicious Circle, waiting for me on my kindle. It’s another in the Joe Pickett series which I’ve come to love. Box finally gives Pickett some wherewithal instead of having him stumble into bad situations. Joe and his family are under siege from the villain of the last book. I was starting to worry Joe was in over his head in dealing with the crew set up against him until his friend Nate showed up. I then knew everything would be okay as Nate is not blessed with Joe’s bone deep decency. A couple of ear removals later and I could breathe a little easier. Now I’ve damned myself again because of my rush through the book (impossible to avoid with a Box book) I have to wait for him to publish again. If you haven’t discovered Joe Pickett yet, do yourself a favor.
I Told You! No Pictures Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment