Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Storm Calm

My Favorite Sumo Wrestler
Yesterday saw my third consecutive day with a three hour drive involved. Technically this was two 1.5 hour drives but it had the same effect. I snuck out of work a little early so I could dash up to New Hampshire to visit Keene Friend in the hospital. I was a little shocked because he was in worse shape than I thought when I set out. He always downplays any malady he's dealing with so it was jarring to see him in such bad shape. He's had a sinus problem that's developed into a drug resistant form of pneumonia.
Memory Hospital - Keene Friend Hangout
After several weeks of very poor sleep and gradually worsening coughing bouts he finally let a local friend drive him to an urgent care clinic on Sunday. Shortly thereafter he was aboard an ambulance and headed for the Cheshire County Medical Center, which is where I found him. I stopped by his house enroute to pick up some necessities, cardinal amongst them a charger for his cell phone so he could remain in contact with the outside world. The doctors have not been really descriptive about what the next step is which creates even more doubt and worry for the patient. He's blessed with a lot of local friends, a couple of which, including Keene Friend 2, stopped by during my two hour visit. The patient looked very drained and concerned about what he doesn't know about his condition. He's had a couple of the coughing episodes which make it impossible to breath. Please keep him in your prayers over the next few days.
The hospital he's in is replete with memories for me. He's on the ward that my mother was in charge of for many years. I worked in the kitchen there during my high school and college years. I actually worked in both the old hospital and then was part of the move to the then new hospital.  It's changed dramatically in the many years since then. I could however see a stand of trees where my high school girlfriend (who also worked in the kitchen) and I passed some memorable times. I can only hope the cover from the window I was looking out yesterday was better back in those days.
I was halfway home when I received a call from my customer who informed me that he wanted to pull all service off the road today due to the blizzard.. As I look out the window right now he made the right call. I had to pull off the road in Winchendon and try to coordinate the shut down with all my subordinate managers and the media. There were some very relieved people who were dreading today's storm and trying to maintain service through it. While we get a lot of snow each winter this storm is dumping nearly 4 inches each hour which plows just can't keep up with. So Man Cave time.



No comments:

Post a Comment