Thursday, March 30, 2017

Powering Up & Canine Invention

Tense Negotiations On her New Table
Buddy the Wonder Pooch has come up with yet another method of confounding his owner and it brooks concern with the imminent return of his main antagonist, my Favorite Panamanian. Buddy, ever the man of leisure, has a bad habit of climbing onto couches to rest his weary body. It’s a trait he fine-tuned in Rhode Island under the tutelage of that well known dog whisperer, the Great Aunt. His black fur combined with a black lab’s native ability to shed is a very bad combination with the white couch we have in the living room.
My Wife (l) Enjoying her Sangria Laden farewell with Friends
To counter this couch climbing ability, whenever I’m out of the house or even upstairs I always close the door to the basement as he likes hanging out down there and even has his own Canine Cave under the stairs complete with luxurious mattress. The last couple days I’ve come home for lunch to find him greeting me at the door even though I know I secured the basement door before leaving. He’s somehow figured out how to lean into the basement door until it pops open. He hasn’t taken it upon himself to go upstairs and avail himself of the beds but I’m sure that’s coming. Any lock I put on the door runs the chance of locking myself in the Man Cave (not a bad fate but lacking sanitary facilities). I’m sure a battle will brew once my wife learns of Buddy’s new abilities.
Kelly Square
Every now and then I like to write about living in Worcester which I’ve truly come to enjoy. Worcester has a very sour reputation with most of New England which probably stems from its history as a gritty mill town. I’ve found its nothing like that and one of the best kept secrets of central New England. There are some challenges though, especially if you’re an outsider. There is no better example than Kelly Square. I travel through that benighted intersection several times a day on my way to and from work. If you’re not used to its idiosyncrasies it can be the stuff of nightmares. My Favorite Son traveled through it on his way to see the new building and he showed up pale and trembling. I nodded sagely at his condition and asked, “Kelly Square?”. He told me I should have warned him.
March is Leaving Like a Lion
Hope Wife's Flight Makes it Through This Storm 
Kelly Square has no less than six converging streets as well as two on and off ramps from an interstate highway. It leads to a glorious sea of confused autos and trucks. There are no traffic lights and its survival of the fittest. Strangely it seems to work well, as long as only locals are involved. Throw in someone unfamiliar with it, like my son, and chaos increases geometrically.

I went to see Power Rangers last night mainly in ode to my son since I remember him raging about them when he was very young. I invested a lot of money in action figures without ever being brought into the mythology. Given that, I had no preconceived expectations about the movie which I found very entertaining. The group of teenagers drafted into roles in a galactic war were all appealing and well-conceived. Elizabeth Banks steals each and every scene as the “bad guy” named Rita Repulsa (I’m serious). It takes a while for the action to heat up but this movie works on a number of levels. The last thirty minutes are some of the loudest I’ve ever experienced in a movie theater which came in handy to drown out the annoying group of teenagers a couple rows back intent on demonstrating their immaturity.
Beyond Words





No comments:

Post a Comment