Friday, March 24, 2017

Marching into Life

The Queen on her Throne
March truly is my least favorite of all despite the Madness. Everything is still winter dead and the cold crisp winter days succumb to a gnarly mixture of being just cold (and usually damp) enough to make life miserable. It’s unfair to be so tough on March as there is no way it can compete with a summer month, much less a glorious autumnal one. I should be more respectful because some of the major events of my life went down in March. I was married in March and that turned out okay. Similar in design and result thirty nine years ago today I put the Army uniform on for the first time which also turned out okay, going from private to full colonel.
New Carpet Dancing

Looking back on that day in 1978 it wasn’t really that memorable. My mother left for work and I can’t remember if she even stopped to say goodbye. My sister, the redoubtable Great Aunt, certainly did and gave me a big hug before I set out the door. I walked down Valley Street leaving my childhood home for the last time (except for visits), unbeknownst to me at the time. I walked down to the recruiter’s office and was shortly in a car to Manchester where I took my first airplane ride ever (first of hundreds) and landed first in Worcester (of all places) and then New York City and Louisville, Kentucky (airline schedules were much different back then). It turned out to be the best decision I ever made and led to finding my niche in life but the only thing I remember clearly from that day is searing loneliness. So maybe I shouldn’t be so hard on March. These thoughts were bouncing around my head this morning when I took Buddy out back for his morning constitutional. I was greeted with a devastatingly beautiful sunrise that I climbed the hill to see more clearly. Sometimes the Big Guy just knows when you need a lift. His coloring this morning was off the charts and there
is no way a camera could capture the true majesty but I tried.
Sunrise this Morning
Speaking of the Big Guy I took the advice of several friends offered after reading my tepid review of the movie version of The Shack. They recommended I read the book which I did and finished yesterday. They were so right. I don’t know if I could call it life changing but it was certainly profound. As with most books it is so much deeper than a movie can ever hope to be and the issues here deserve some depth. It’s the story of a man broken by tragedy who spends a weekend with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The book takes the reader on a thoughtful journey into their own beliefs without being preachy. I loved it on a very fundamental level. I’ve always struggled with the bells and whistles man hangs on faith with organized religion and this story really spoke to me. Anytime the written word can gently force you to look into yourself growth will occur. Thank you to those friends who suggested this to me. I also loved the ending in the book so much more.

I didn’t love Life, which I took in last night and this surprised me. I was really looking forward to this mainly because of the cast but anytime you’ve got a bad ass alien chasing humans down in space – I’m in. The movie starts out promisingly but fails to finish as the seemingly indestructible alien removes some of the most interesting characters too quickly. We’re left with a dour pair fighting the good fight and some plot holes you could drive a space station through. Maybe I expected too much given the level of the cast but it turns out to be a semi-thrilling monster flick I’ve seen too many times before in other modes. 
My wife is making the most of her last few days in Panama before returning for the tail end of New England March. Yesterday she took her mom up into the mountains to swim at Los Cangilones de Gualaca which loosely translated means the Canyons of Gualaca. It's a very neat place where a mountain river cuts through rock to form a fun place to swim (even in March - conversely one of the best months to be in Panama.




No comments:

Post a Comment