Saturday, April 1, 2017

Icy Reunion

Together Again
She’s baaaaaack!! My Favorite Panamanian returned last night and all warning signs of spring disappeared with her return. It’s almost as if Mother Nature wanted to remind my wife of all the weather fun she’s missed over the past two months. It sprayed a combination of snow, sleet and freezing rain all day but the roads were still in pretty good shape when I set out for Boston after an abbreviated but still enjoyed First Friday. I left with plenty of time to spare given Boston’s usual traffic situation compounded by the weather and a Celtics game.
Roses Were Rendered
Getting there was no problem as I watched the temperature climb steadily as I got closer to the coast. It was in the low forties when I reached Logan and raining steadily. Her flight landed a half hour early but it took an hour to get through the customs and baggage claim processes. I later found she stopped to help a couple older ladies trying to figure out the robotic immigration machines and that put her at the back of a very long line.
Back Deck this Morning - Coated in Ice
It was so good seeing her finally emerge from the double doors at Terminal E that I’ve spent so much time waiting outside. The delay in getting out only made the challenge of the return home greater though because as soon as the sun went down everything turned to ice. Being a good Soldier I’d followed orders and brought along a pair of her boots because sandals were not going to cut it. She was not pleased with my selection though saying I’d tapped a pair that was wildly out of date (who knew they had expiration dates?).
You Guys Are Back Together!
She was pleased with the roses and a bag of her favorite candy which waited in the car for her. The drive home was one of those out of legend. It will rank up there as one of the toughest drives I’ve ever made. In a reverse of the drive in I watched the dashboard thermometer drop a couple degrees every couple of miles I traveled west. By the time I reached I-95 the car was coated in ice. I stayed on the Pike figuring it would be in better shape than some of the other choices but it was still a huge challenge. Worcester was in a shambles when we arrived as we passed several cars off the road or communing with fixed objects. I made the last turn towards home to find a car struggling to make it up our hill. There was room to go around and our Highlander, in snow mode, worked like a champion. We slid into the garage and I put my head onto the wheel so thankful the stress of that drive was over. My plans for a welcome home dinner at our favorite restaurant were dashed as no sane person would choose to drive if they didn’t have to.
Time to Dance
My wife loved the new kitchen adorned with yet another dozen roses and the Wonder Pooch was ecstatic to have another human around. However that well accomplished escape artist knew the law had returned. When I tried to get him to demonstrate his newfound facility opening the basement door he refused under the scornful eye of my wife.
Sending Hugs
It was too late to get a call into the First Blog Reader but we did connect with our daughter where they were experiencing the same storm we were (nice that we can share weather again) although it was all rain down in New Jersey. Wingman was performing Dutchman duty in the basement trying to keep the flood waters at bay. They are discovering the joys of home ownership also have a down side.

We’re still homebound this morning as the storm continues to rage but now that I have my partner in crime back at my side I find that scenario a lot more palatable. It will be nice to have hot chocolate waiting for me when I come back in from hopefully the last snow blower ride of the year; of course it’s the preparer of the hot chocolate that makes all the difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment