Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Stylin

3 Generations of Style
The back is microscopically better today and it did get me out of some furniture moving last night. A slew of new area rugs we purchased on line arrived yesterday and my wife declared my previous waxing of the new floor was inadequate to receive these new items. I’m not exactly convinced of the mythology involved here but I wasn’t going to object. I came home to fin the Wonder Pooch safely behind his now secure basement door and the kitchen full of the dining room furniture.
The Shoulder Riding I Wrote About Yesterday

I Could Do This All Day Long
Despite her small stature my wife is a lot stronger than people usually credit. She’s pretty impressive when she decides something needs to be moved and I’m not around to draft. I’d just come back from thankfully the last of the public hearings about upcoming fare increases and route reductions. The Voices of Inappropriate Worth were in full flower but I was more interested in the well-spoken activists who also attended. I was impressed with their energy and obvious passion for the lesser advantaged and their comments were a lot more cogent than the self-important gadflies we usually have to deal with.
Lincoln School Cantankerous
Speaking of gadflies today marks the day of birth of none other than the Cantankerous Friend, who, over his very long lifespan, has raised pot-stirring to an art form. I met him in 3rd grade, Lincoln School shortly after moving to a new neighborhood in my hometown. He’s been a constant, if at times, distant, part of my life ever since. He pursued a naval career that coincided with my time in the Army and we ran into each other during that period in as disparate places as Panama, Philadelphia, and Washington. I give him a pretty hard time here on the blog for his leftist leanings but I’d want him next to me in a foxhole during a hard fight and there’s no higher praise an infantryman can offer. Although I’m sure he’ll want to argue about it.
Our Hug Last Night
We did sneak in our daily Facetime call with the New Jersey bunch last night. We caught the First Blog Reader at dinner. My wife was prepping for the movies when the call came in and our granddaughter looked a little displeased when it was just me on the screen. As soon my wife joined us a huge smile broke on her face – apparently, in her mind, we are a package deal. I’ll take it. Part of her daily routine when it comes time to say goodbye is to grab the IPad and deliver both hugs and kisses to our images. She certainly knows how to burrow into our hearts more deeply with each passing day.

The movie we saw last night on date night was Going in Style. This was clearly aimed directly at my demographic and is a lot smarter than people will give it credit for. It’s undeniably hilarious with three cinematic lions chewing up scenery while still being generous with their co-stars. Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and especially Alan Arkin are predictably superb as senior citizens who decide to rob the bank that cheated them out of their pension. The easy comradery between the trio makes this imminently watchable. As an added bonus you get to see what the Reverend Jim Ignatowski would look like as a senior citizen. While many will dismiss this as light hearted silliness there were some important themes like friendship, family, and justice woven into the fabric of the plot. It helps to be old enough now to sympathize with the senior leads, young whippersnappers might not get it. I loved it.
Flashing the Smile

Impressed with her Brush Work

She Loves Dogs, But Of Course She Does

Hey, I'm Reading Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment