Monday, April 17, 2017

New Hampsherites for a Day

Easter Dinner
Yesterday was a perfect cap to my weekend visits to my children. We braved the hectic yet still moving I-495 traffic to make our way north to link up with my Favorite Son and the ABFA for Easter dinner. We were lucky enough to also have the ABFA’s parents in residence to share the day with. Easter is probably the lowest key of any of the annual holidays for me but it’s also my favorite one when it comes to church attendance. I am not the dedicated church goer certain wives of mine are but Easter when there’s a real sense of emerging from Lenten fog and a renewed joy in the lessons for some reason just speak more eloquently to my stunted religious core. It’s also fun to see all the kids tugging at their Easter finery.
Buddy and Riggins Yesterday
Buddy accompanied us for this trip and was soon reacquainted with his partner in crime Riggins, one day out from his date with the nut cutter. They’ve established a funny relationship where Buddy tries to avoid Riggins and steal his toys. Riggins doesn’t care until one is stolen and then that becomes his favored toy. They were a lot of fun to be around. Any holiday experience is enhanced geometrically with the presence of dogs. The ABFA has been completely conquered by Riggins and vice versa; she has that effect. Riggins even sat still while the ABFA brushed his teeth. I’d need a blood transfusion if I ever tried that with Buddy.
ABFA and her Suppicant

Teeth Brushing
It was a very nice, low key day as we all caught up of each other’s news. We brought a pre-cooked ham with us which was warmed up while the lively conversation percolated and Easter baskets were distributed. Since both of our hosts are well known chocolate aficionados the baskets were very well received. There was also the huge chocolate pie my wife brought for dessert which did nothing to lessen the Easter spirit.

My Wife with her Favorite Son
As required for these type dinners we ate entirely too much and took to the living room couch ostensively to watch the Red Sox but there were a number of inner eyelid inspections going on. We eventually got the First Blog Reader on a FaceTime call and she did her thing – charming everyone. She had a busy day yesterday with a picnic and a barbecue. I love that my daughter and Wingman have fallen in with a resident group of friends in New Jersey so they can fully enjoy holidays the way they are meant to be enjoyed – with family and friends.
Modeling some New Shoes

New Jersey Barbecue

No comments:

Post a Comment