Friday, April 28, 2017

Creeping Wall

Back to Work Grampa
Yesterday was one of those days I felt like I was chasing my tail all day long. There were several meetings with the politicos in the morning and then our annual Retiree Luncheon consuming the middle of the day. Each year we invite the company’s retirees back for a picnic and recognition of those who retired over the past year. It led me to realize how long I’ve been in Worcester now. After the transitory lifestyle for most of my adult life in the Army I’m now in my twelfth year here. What caused me to reflect was the aged state of several of the retirees who returned. Many of them were senior employees when I first showed up. Time is such a fleeting commodity.
The Wall After Yesterday's Efforts
Most of the afternoon as devoted to wrestling with the scheduling software as I’m passing the torch in that arena to a team of subordinates and I had to walk them through in excruciating detail. I was in serious need to some sort of diversion after I got home. My usual and very dependable sun source of diversion, my Favorite Panamanian, was unavailable since she was engaged on one of her shopping frenzies with the Neighborhood Mafioso. We have a long weekend next week with our granddaughter coming up and that kicks my wife’s shopping scent, already keenly developed, into overdrive.
She Wanted to Wear Striped Socks So She Could be Like Dad
I contented myself with another trip to Home Depot and loading and unloading fifty more bricks for my wall. I understand why Pink Floyd has been echoing through my subconscious recently with one of the defining songs of my generation. I’ve figured I end up picking up each brick a total of five times, off the shelf onto the cart, into the car, out of the car, out of the wheel barrow and onto the wall. So 250 lifts later the wall is about three quarters complete. I think it will take two or three additional rows which I hope to knock out this weekend. Before I do that I’ve got to shovel the pile of fill (from the front yard garden expansion) sitting just below it to behind the wall. I’m not a genius but lifting it over the lower wall makes more sense than waiting until it’s at its final height. My engineer son would be so proud of Neanderthal Dad.
Best Buds - At Least from One Side
While I was out on the wall (you need me there) I received my FaceTime call from the shopping catalyst herself. My granddaughter heartily approved of her grandmother’s absence from the call since she was involved in acquiring additional items to support her style in the style she has become accustomed. I came in from the wall to do some homework, remoting into my office desktop to drive a stake in the heart of one schedule that just didn’t want to cooperate.

Sister in Air Assault Mode

Meanwhile the Great Aunt, Soxfather, and Namesake Nephew are terrorizing Central Florida this week. Based on what the Red Sox are doing (or not doing – like hitting the ball) it’s probably a good thing the Soxfather is out of town. I received some pictures of my sister and her son taking a helicopter ride. I’ve ridden in hundreds of those things over the Army years but always thought it was cool, well except for the few hard landings or rappelling into triple canopy from a hovering chopper. They’re much more enjoyable from the inside.





No comments:

Post a Comment