Sunday, April 16, 2017

Easter Nice

Testing Mom's Patience in the Dress Donning
This will be a quick entry because I have a lot more important things on the agenda today – such as hanging out with my Favorite Son and the ABFA. Of course that requires a bit of a drive but that seems to be the norm nowadays with my far flung (but thankfully still drivable) progeny. We just got back from a very crowded church where the pastor made the usual, “We’re open every Sunday” pitch to the assembled masses.
Bride to be and Her Mom
Yesterday was a road day. My wife was invited to Soxfather’s niece’s bridal shower and there was no way she was going to drive herself into the wilds of unknown territory (Seekonk, MA). I was drafted into chauffeur duty and expected to amuse myself whilst she partied away the afternoon. Thank God for google because with a little map recon I noted a nearby movie theater and plenty of bars.
I went to see Fate of the Furious which while not exactly Shakespeare is still wildly entertaining as long as you understand going in what to expect. It delivers the usual breathtaking, completely unbelievable car chases and the bromantic musing of Vin Diesel. He’s taken to the dark side for most of the movie for well-hidden reasons while his merry band of misfits team up with the CIA to track him down. It’s confounding that the LA car thieves of the first movie have transitioned into international agents of mystery but with this franchise suspension of disbelief is requisite. Charlize is around to play another of her delicious villain roles and virtually everybody still alive from prior movies stop by to check in. It was a great ride and kickoff for the summer blockbuster season.

After the movie and a Five Guys flyby I was safely into my first beer in the Irish pub across the street from the wedding shower when I was summoned to conduct the spousal extraction. It offered the opportunity for a quick hello with the Great Aunt and her fabulous in laws. The bride to be looked radiant and hard to fathom where time has gone. It seemed like yesterday she was part of the daily routine where my wife took care of he during our early 1990s sojourn in Rhode Island. Time, that implacable bastard, marcheth on. As do I as hanging with my son is infinitely preferable to writing these nonsensical musings. Sorry for the lack of photos today as my daughter has been engaged in a prolonged struggle to get the First Blog Reader into her Easter finest. I hope you all find that elusive Easter egg you’re looking for today. I know I have.
Success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment