Sunday, April 23, 2017

Walled off and Beer Fairies

Modeling Some New boots
I’m back to building walls, just not the one I planned on in the back yard, but that story can wait before I acknowledge the absolute supremacy of my wife who has shown up for consecutive First Friday celebrations. Since I’m the boss I don’t always get the proper ribbing at these events but her attendance certainly removes that prohibition. It’s just a lot of fun to have her come and share in the fellowship.
First Friday Partners in Crime
Yesterday was consumed with the aforementioned wall building. My intent was to finally get started on the big and final terrace in the back yard. I was accompanied by the above praised spouse for the procurement of supplies since she finally, somewhat trepidation-ally, made a decision on the first floor wall paint. She was still bouncing back and forth between colors right up to the last moment. I think the act of making an actual decision sapped her strength because she was down with some mysterious malady for the rest of the day. We had planned on going out dancing last night so I know the pain was real because she vetoed that idea as well.
The Almost Finished Front Yard Wall
She had mentioned she wanted a small wall in the front yard to protect one of her new gardens from washing away. I figured I could make short work of that and get to my big project. I laboriously moved the entire load of bricks to the backyard. I moved Buddy to the front yard so he could supervise and provided sheltered company from the garage as I knocked out the small wall out front. Since it was going downhill I arranged the bricks in a series of levels, keeping it one brick above ground level. When I was done my Favorite Panamanian was summoned and really liked the wall but thought it would be better if I raised it all to the level of the highest brick.
From Downhill With My Supervisor on Site
Of course she was right, something I realized as soon as I explained it was an option. Of course this called for a lot more bricks and I spent the next hour shuttling the bricks from the back yard to the front where they’d started the day. I used all the bricks I had and still need to get a few more as well as cap stones but it did come out pretty well. My body, that’s another story. I’m so glad she canceled the dancing last night. I took her out to dinner because a huge mug of ice cold draft beer is just about the best medicine for a middle aged body ravaged by a day of wall building.  
Dinner Last Night
Mid-way through the project we received a FaceTime call from New Jersey. Wingman is out of town this weekend but the ladies still had a full dance card of visiting friends. My granddaughter learned a new phrase which she uttered when my daughter was putting her down for her mid-day nap. “I don’t want to!” We all agreed this was not the last time my daughter would be hearing this phrase from her. She was her usual entertaining self but I found myself nodding off being back in the warm house after the hours spent in the cold and clammy outside. My wife continued the call while I returned to the wall since it was not going to finish itself. (that’s called being haunted by my own mother)

Beer Fairy Residue
I found this morning that overnight we’d been visited by the beer fairy (didn’t even know they existed). There was a case of Heineken beer on the back deck with no explanation. My wife eventually got a text from the next door neighbors who dropped the beer off to thank me for the snow blowing help over the past winter. My Charlton neighbors used to give me chocolate chip cookies. I must be pretty shallow that neighbors are so well aware of my personal kryptonites, I’m not complaining. Well, today it’s back to brick buying and finally, hopefully the last terrace.
She Loves Spinach Pasta



And Ketchup!

And Charming Wingman Out of his Food






No comments:

Post a Comment