Monday, September 5, 2016

Wall Growth to Keene Escape

Keene Friend at Scores Yesterday
I returned from Rhode Island early yesterday and launched myself at the wall again. This is the easy part, if the bottom row was properly leveled. “Easy” being a relative term because loading and unloading a few dozen stones is not as easy as it used to be. Buddy assisted by parking himself right in the doorway as I tried to carry too many of the stones at once. When my foot caught in his chain I very briefly considered dropping the stones on his head while dancing around trying to regain balance. I think we share some sort of psychic connection because he promptly got up and moved to a safer location.
As Far as I Got Yesterday
I’d thought I was going to make two trips to Home Depot for the additional stones but the combination of the Rhode Island Saturday night and the previous physical labor combined to quash that overly ambitious plan. The wall did grow a couple rows and I finished the pea stone pathway. I still had the hour long drive up to Keene to accomplish the second planned thunder run.
Wingman Was in Honolulu This Weekend
I’ve been uncharacteristically absent from my home town this summer with everything going on down here and in Panama. While I thought to make up for that with a celebratory romp, the exhaustion permeated environment set my goals to a more modest/sedate level than a true thunder run. Keene Friend and I took up station at Scores in time to watch the Red Sox game. We’d hoped to rally some other friends to join us but my IPhone came down with a case of the yips and texts did not go out for some reason.
Target Acquired
I know my daughter had previously told me how to turn the damned thing off as my limited computer/smart phone technical ability extends to: “When it doesn’t work, restart it”. It was frustrating because I was “that guy” finagling with my phone instead of enjoying the atmosphere. I eventually gave up but we did have a fellow high school classmate join us for a while. She took a break from running up and down all of New England’s 4000 foot peaks to give us some lessons on golf course naming.
Love the Devilish Look - I Don't Think You Can Catch me Mommy
Keene Friend and I retreated to his house planning on watching the Notre Dame game along with a coordinated attack on a pizza. The very last thing you should do when exhausted after drinking beer is sitting in a very comfortable chair. I had to fight off drooping eyelids which even the arrival of the Cantankerous Friend and the attendant insults were hard pressed to close. I missed a big chunk of the middle of the game but woke up in time to a fairly thrilling, if disappointing, conclusion.
We Have Several Pictures of Her Mother Looking Just like This
So I’m back in Worcester staring at the damned wall again with additional rows beckoning. I’m so glad to have had the time back “home” yesterday with good friends who, despite outward appearances, went a long way in recharging my batteries.
Hanging with Moms











No comments:

Post a Comment