Friday, September 9, 2016

Finish Line Stagger

Wife and Her Friends Last Night
Yesterday was my final day to prepare for today’s return of the Favorite Panamanian. A lot of cleaning was involved. I’ve got that down a science due to entirely too much practice. The other facet was accomplishing the “honey do” tasks she left me with. One of these was installing a glass shelf and a towel rack in two of our bathrooms. Nothing went as planned.
Granddaughter Lining up a Throw - We Played Catch Via FaceTime Last Night
My wife searched long and hard to finally find the perfect glass shelf which I was charged with installing. She left explicit instructions about where it should go and cautioned me to be careful (that’s standard operating procedure, given my history). That became job one last night and I was perhaps a little overconfident given that it was a pretty simple task. The shelf came packed in one of those adult proof plastic packages that you need scissors to open. I was being careful, honest, but the plastic tore open faster than I anticipated and all of a sudden the glass was suspended in midair directly in front of me.
We Also Read a Little bit together - She's a Very Busy Girl
It happened so fast but it was one of those moments that seemed to last forever as I watched my wife’s long sought after shelf head for the tile floor. Since it was tempered glass it literally exploded into thousands of pieces while I emitted a primordial scream of some fairly colorful vocabulary. I cannot remember being this angry at myself in a very long time. I immediately changed back into street clothes and headed to the store my wife had found the elusive shelf but of course they did not have any remaining.
Cat is Becoming a Freind Since Meat was Added to Diet
Returning to the house I tried to mollify my frustration by installing the rack but that turned out to be a fiasco as well. She wanted it installed in a tight situation and the rack is literally millimeters too long. I did manage to gouge up the wall fairly well which added to my exasperation levels. Not even the return of the NFL last night could assuage the irritation at my failures.

At the Neighborhood Community Center
I figured the best course of action was to admit my malfeasance immediately while I still had a couple thousand mile buffer between us but I could not reach my wife. She was out on the town with some high school friends for her last night in town. She’s been a virtual prisoner in her house since arriving while taking care of her ailing father. Both my daughter and I were trying to track her down and feared something final had happened with her father.
She Loves Turkey - Of Course!
Fortunately she did contact me late last night and took the news with an astounding amount of equanimity. I think being confronted with her father’s situation granted a large amount of perspective. A glass shelf is pretty minor in the big picture. I may just survive her return.



No comments:

Post a Comment