Monday, September 19, 2016

New Hampshire Corner Drill

Yesterday Evening in a Portsmouth Pizza Joint
Testimony to just how much I esteem our visitors from Panama is the decision yesterday to forgo a Sunday afternoon in the Man Cave basking in the reflected glory of the NFL Red Zone. Any trip to the US would not be complete without a visit to the most beautiful of all the states. The only conundrum was jury rigging the need into visiting two sites on either side of the state in one day. As we crossed he border into New Hampshire I correctly pointed out how the air seemed fresher and the sun brighter in the Granite State.
Lunch with Keene Friend
We launched in the morning to link up with Keene Friend for lunch at Margarita’s. Who knew they even served lunch? He had a passel of friends showing up to watch the Patriots’ game so he had to leave us before the end of the meal. While we were finishing up who should walk in but the recently engaged Keene Friend 2 (gotta love small towns), actually on his way to #1’s to watch the game. He stopped by to pick up a gift certificate and came in to say hello to the visitors.
Wife's Cousin Contemplating some Sizzling Fajitas
Following lunch I took them on a tour of my home town including the my Mom’s house, Robin Hood Park, and associated Jumanji sites. We had already passed the Cantankerous Friend’s house where his car was parked when my wife remembered that the Cousin of the Legendary Laugh is sisters with the ex-Mrs. Cantankerous Friend and insisted we return. I opined that the twenty minute marriage at my son’s wedding did not constitute enough reason to interrupt his viewing of the game with his dad.
Sight-Seeing in Portsmouth
My wife, undaunted by this failure then turned her attention to the availability of nearby tax free shopping. Who am I to argue when this provided the opportunity to join Keene Friend for at least a half of the Pat’s game. I joined the boys there while the Panamanians made a bee line for TJ Maxx. It was fun hanging out with the guys, at least until the Patriot’s QB was injured. I didn’t even question why the Panamanians made the five minute trip from TJ Maxx to Keene Friend’s house in forty five minutes. My wife claimed it was due to bumper to bumper traffic to which the entire room exploded in laughter.
Group Shot with Son and ABFA
We now had to travel from Keene’s southwestern corner of New Hampshire to Portsmouth in the southeastern corner for a linkup with the Favorite Son. I hadn’t made this trip in a while but it brought back a lot of memories because it mirrors the trips I used to make to and from college, usually hitchhiking. I was amazed at how much easier the trip is now with improved highways. I was pulling into my son’s driveway an hour and a half after leaving Keene. I may have exceeded a speed limit of two.
Son and ABFA Atop Mt Madison on Saturday
My son and ABFA were still recovering from their Saturday ascent of Mount Madison but gamely hosted the visiting cavalcade. We were soon joined by the ABFA’s parents who were returning grand puppy Riggins from their weekend babysitting duties. Apparently I had passed them while on Route 101. They are more cognizant of speed limits than certain retired colonels. Since the host’s kitchen is still disassembled for re-modeling we all journeyed into Portsmouth for a pizza dinner after some sightseeing.
So Much Fun Hanging with These Guys
I was a little gassed when we first arrived but felt a little rejuvenated after the pizza. I still had the drive back to Worcester in front of me. Luckily I had the last of the Red Sox-Yankees games to entertain me. These games should be timed with a calendar instead of ta clock so I was confident it would cover the entire trip. They were losing 4-0 by the time we got back but rallied to complete a four game sweep of the hated Yanks which made the weariness a whole lot easier to tolerate.

Wingman Farewelling in Chi-Town
Finally yesterday was also Wingman’s last concert on his farewell tour. Based on the photos I’ve been seeing they certainly went out in style. Wingman posted a message to his fans earlier today on Facebook. While I know it’s tough to leave the rock star lifestyle, the two ladies waiting for him in California will more than make it worthwhile. Wingman’s statement:  “It's 5am in Chicago. I just played a show at The Metro. A venue that I have seen Braid, Alkaline Trio, Belle & Sebastian, and many many other bands play. The difference is that tonight was my band's last show. Like, holy shit... it's our last show. I sincerely want to thank every single person that has come to any show ever. It means a lot, and doesn't go unnoticed. I am extremely excited to go home and spend the rest of my life with my wife and my daughter, but I want you all to know how much you have meant to me over the last 15 or so years. I can't stop crying, and that's ok. We've had a lot of fun together. Peace!! Much love... Goodnight!!!”
So Happy Daddy's Heading Home





No comments:

Post a Comment