Sunday, September 18, 2016

Hazy Boston Walkabout

Boston's North End in the Background
I took charge of the visitors yesterday with a planned excursion to Boston while my wife was supposed to rest up at home. She rightly guessed that there would be a significant amount of walking involved in our tour of Beantown. I had my standard package planned, leave early enough to beat the crowd going to Fenway, park under the Common and branch out from there.
The Frog Pond
We didn’t beat the crowd to Fenway, should have factored in the fact that this was a Yankees game and Red Sox nation was out in force. Once we fought past that traffic we found the Common garage closed with a sign saying it was completely full. There looked to be some sort of carnival on the Common which explained that status. I wandered through some streets until I found a parking lot on the fringe of Chinatown within walking distance of the Common. We made it back to the carnival and things seemed a little “odd”. Most of the booths were definitely counter-culture and it looked more like a collection of the losers from Occupy Wall Street than any kind of family event. I’m not the brightest bulb on the circuit but it eventually dawned on me that I’d walked into the middle of a marijuana festival.
The Smoky Festival
My Panamanian visitors thought it was strange that everyone was smoking weed out in the open so America now has that going for its reputation when they return home. I got them out of there by the most expeditious route possible as we took in the usual sights of central Boston from the Statehouse down to the harbor. There was a huge, professional bike race going on around government center which actually helped dodging across the streets since the police had so many closed. Probably a good idea the police were there instead of the Common.
The Statehouse

At the Quincy Market
There was the obligatory clam chowder in a bread bowl at the Quincy Market before starting to make our way back to the car. We skirted the festival this time although I could hear some of the speaker extolling the virtues of the “magical plant”. I guess there is some sort of ballot question on legalizing pot. If the crowd I witnessed yesterday is any indication of the result than I certainly know which way I’m voting.
Behind the Aquarium

The Bike Race

Declaring Victory Back Home with Tired Legs
I asked my visitors what they thought of Boston and they were effusive in how beautiful and accessible everything was. They said they hoped their country could someday realize the benefit of making everything so open and walker friendly. I don’t think they were talking about what they saw on the Common.

Wingman in Chicago Yesterday
Today marks the last show for the Wingman and his band on their Farewell Tour. From the attached photo it looks like the penultimate show yesterday in Chi-Town was well attended. A good way to go out. I know there’s a very charming set of young ladies anxious for his return to California.
These ladies Are Waiting for Him









No comments:

Post a Comment