Friday, September 23, 2016

Long Day to Amazing Wins

Daddy's Girl Getting ready for Game Time!
I had one of those early morning runs to the airport through Boston that has become fairly routine so our visiting Panamanians could return home. Their visit seemed to be over in a heartbeat. I know they were anxious to get home to their brood of grandchildren and we received photographic evidence of that last evening. Apparently their return was quite the event.
Welcoming Committee Last Night in Panama

Back on the home front despite the lack of sleep I launched back onto the wall project after work. We have another pair of Panamanians inbound on Sunday so I’ve got a narrow window to get the work done. I knew First Friday celebrations later today would militate against any accurate leveling and my wife would not appreciate walls skewed by First Friday libations.
Grandpuppy Pictures Returned
I made the tactical error of taking her with me to Home Depot to pick up the blocks. Before I could accurately understand how it happened we were the proud owners of a number of new plants as well. I am creating these gardens so she can finally plant the array of perennial plants that have moved with us twice now. They are waiting patiently along the back wall of the house and now have some company.
In a surprising move she started helping me load the blocks into the car. While I’m sure part of that effort was aimed at preventing me from damaging the sides of her car it was a reminder of how strong she is, despite the petite exterior. We’ve been so busy over the past few weeks that this was fun just working together. Upon return to the house I got to work extending the wall longer than I planned but in accordance with her wishes (I honestly don’t know how she does it).
Second Wall Extended - Blocks Prepared for Saturday
I was summoned inside when a FaceTime call from California presented itself. The First Blog Reader was in high form. She was a being a little unfair to her very devoted mother. Now that Dad is back in town she’s all about hanging with him. According to her mother the first word she utters upon wakening is “dad” and she will only read with him. Her mother reminded her that she did the exact same thing at the same age with me. I told her not to worry about her little “Daddy’s Girl” because she certainly had the same appellation and grew into an ardent feminist.
Love the Brady Jersey
They as well as our house were getting ready for the Patriots game in which they were starting their third string quarterback. Confidence was not rampant but we’ve learned “In Bill We Trust” and Belichick delivered what may be his most impressive coaching job ever, which is saying a lot. They dismantled a supposedly good Houston team. We checked in on the Red Sox during commercials watching them win their eighth straight game and concluding a series sweep against their division rivals – the Orioles.


In direct contrast to my experience growing up the past years in the New England sports scene has been an embarrassment of riches and last night would have been a landmark event if it happened twenty years ago. Last night, it felt kind of normal. How far we’ve come.






No comments:

Post a Comment