Sunday, September 25, 2016

Second Staged

My Cali-Girl Contiues to Grow Unabated
No Frail Deeds yesterday, you are most welcome. Unfortunately I’m returning to rambling today so you’ll just have to deal with it. I wrote earlier in the week about the limited window I had for work on the second level of the ugly hill remake project behind Deckzilla. Yesterday was the only full day I had and I spent the entire day back there. Well except for the three separate trips to Home Depot(s) to secure additional supplies.
Second Terrace Done
I definitely noticed the difference yesterday as for the first time I had my favorite Panamanian back there with me. It’s amazing how much of an expert she can become on a subject despite never having done it. I think it’s a gene inherent in all wives. She was planting bulbs and shrubs on the first level garden and it was a lot of fun having her out there with me. I hadn’t noticed how lonely working unsupervised was.
2/3 of Ugliness Vanquished
Since we had a really chilly night due she also started the annual house plant migration from Deckzilla into the house. Her bougainvilleas have pretty much taken over the dining room. As the sun was setting I put the last set of stone on top of the wall after already filling the garden with “appropriate” dirt. I feel really good about the process because as I sat down for breakfast this morning 2/3rds of the ugly hillside had been consumed. One more terrace and I’ll be done; with the left side.
Still Checking to Make Sure Dad is Really Back
Buddy was present all day with us for squirrel security operations. He performed his usual task, other than defecating spectacularly, of sitting directly in whatever path I chose when carrying three wall blocks. My wife used some bone meal to fertilize her tulip bulbs and Buddy thought they smelled enough like real bones that he ought to dig it up and sample it; not his finest moment. My wife was also dealing some more tragic news about her father. A recent test revealed a serious brain tumor in addition to all of his other recent health challenges. Later in the day we heard he was hospitalized with a high fever due to infection.
Dinner Last Night
After such a long day both physically and emotionally I took her out to dinner. A large glass of sangria helped a little bit, a Dustin Pedroia grand slam to help the Sox win their tenth straight even more. I could tell her heart wasn’t in the effort though as her thoughts were a couple thousand miles south with her ailing dad. She felt guilt for feeling happy when her dad was in such dire straits.
Love the Expression
I was looking forward to one of those cool fall nights huddled under a thick quilt. I knew sleep would not be a problem after all my home depoting during the day. That was until I was treated to the dance of the competing smoke alarms at 3:30am. No less than three separate alarms went off with dying batteries. I woke to a beep and then a cartoonish voice. I eventually tracked it down to a specific alarm that was thoughtfully informing me the battery was low. I had just dove under the blankets again when another and then another went off. Buddy doesn’t deal well with alarms (thinks of them as interior thunderstorms). I found him cowering under the basement stairs and refusing to come out. I guess it was a long day for him as well.
Daddy Tackling
Today should be fun as two sets of siblings are inbound. The Great Aunt and Soxfather are coming up to immerse themselves in the Red Zone with me in the Man Cave. Later in the day we’re trekking into Boston again hopefully to pick up my wife’s brother and his wife. 




No comments:

Post a Comment