Monday, September 26, 2016

Brotherly Arrivals

Around the Table Last Night
Okay for someone with no biological brother (that I know of) I spent a lot of time yesterday with brothers. It was enough to confuse everyone, including the Cantankerous Friend. I was finally able to spend some time with my favorite addiction, the NFL Red Zone, in the Man Cave. The added bonus was having the Soxfather along for the ride. He normally works on Sundays during the NFL season but since the Patriots had already logged their win for the week on Thursday he was free to let lesser minions handle the league riffraff.
Dad, Time to Wake Up!

Dad!!!!

I Can Do This All Day!

Ahhh!
The Great Aunt was supposed to accompany him but they had contractors coming in to finish off their bathroom remodeling project so she was trapped down in Rhode Island. It was fun marveling at the action with someone who knows so much about sports. He made the cogent comment when we saw yet another failure by both quarterback and coach about how lucky we are to have Belichick and Brady (well almost). It was a great afternoon. I had to stand in for the Great Aunt, an acknowledged savant at barbecuing chicken. I sought her counsel and produced a reasonable facsimile.
The Winning Run
We abandoned the Red Zone when we ate in order to catch the end of the Red Sox game as they went for their 11th win in a row. We had just sat down when Pedroia finished of the weirdest scoring play I’ve ever seen in organized baseball. Pedroia tried to score from first but the Rays had him dead to rights at home until he jumped around and then over the catcher. By the time the startled catcher applied the tag the ball slipped out of the oversized mitt he was wearing because it was catching knuckleballs. A great way to end Soxfather portion of the day.
Brother and Sister Together Again
Shortly after he departed we were on the well-worn road to the International Terminal at Logan to pick up my wife’s brother and his wife. Again with the brother thing. I’ve been carping on him for years to come visit because he’s so much fun to hang out with and his wife is the perfect compliment. He, of course, has been dealing with my father in law’s ongoing health crisis up close and personal so I’m happy we can provide a little respite and hopefully some rest. We were in the depths of the Ted Williams Tunnel when we received a FaceTime Call from the Cali-Daughter and granddaughter – I didn’t even know that was possible. Since I was having my usual entertaining time negotiating the Logan exit my wife got to have most of the fun. I did get my needed scrunchy face after we parked at Terminal E.

Our FaceTimers
This is the first time my brother in law has visited in the autumn and he’s madly in love with the cool weather. I get that. I only spent three years living in Panama’s year round heat but I left with a profound appreciation of New England fall weather. We sat around the table laughing for three hours straight while the Panamanians demolished a couple bottles of wine. I had to behave since we’re talking school night but that didn’t diminish the evening, even a little bit. There was the obligatory viewing of the latest pictures of the First Blog Reader. I’m sure you can understand why after seeing the photos below. 







No comments:

Post a Comment