Thursday, September 8, 2016

Stranger Conclusion

Let Me Think About that Grandpa
All of a sudden, seemingly, my Favorite Panamanian will return from her visit with her dad. It’ll be good to get her back because she needs a break. The time with her father has been profoundly sad and draining for her. He has for all intents and purposes already left this world. What remains is detached and devoid of any memories of the loved ones swirling around him trying to make him comfortable despite his best efforts to the contrary. It’s overwhelmingly sad to participate in this type of exit but to their immense credit her entire family has rallied around him.
I Don't Think You Can Catch Me Mom!
Her return stateside tomorrow means toilet seats will have to return to the prone position and the vacuum cleaner will be working overtime tonight. I’ve also noticed, now that it’s become important, that the floors bear the marks of my work on the backyard wall. I know I can make the excuse I was rushing in to answer one of her phone calls with my dirty boots but it is probably safer just to deploy the mop.
Playing Catch with the Cat
I finally connected for a FaceTime call with the California ladies last night. My granddaughter is turning into quite the little entertainer. She blessed me with a couple heart melting smiles once she realized who was talking to her and we played peekaboo until the turning screen made my daughter a little nauseous. We then had a lively game and catch as she threw the ball to the screen and i acted Like I caught it. The First Blog Reader is developing into a real character. I can’t wait to meet her again in less than a month!
I finished my run through the Netflix series Stranger Things recommended by my daughter. It was very Stephen King-ish in that a tight knit group of adolescents battle the evil 1970’s government while at the same time trying to rescue a friend kidnapped by supernatural forces. There were some very real “moments” as the young group of friends connected with a strange girl with psychic powers. While the show dragged at times, the last few episodes more than made up for it and certainly left the door wide open for another season.  Netflix is doing some very interesting things.
It must have been my night for super-powered teenage girls. I took in Morgan at the movies because I’ll watch anything Kate Mara is in. She plays an investigator called into when a genetically engineered girl attacks one of her keepers in an underground lab. The scary little girl from The Witch adds to her spooky resume as the girl. I thought Mara came across a little robotic until the thinly disguised “twist” was revealed. The first half drags more than a little but livens up when Paul Giamatti appears for a small role. He’s such a good actor and finally gets his due when he launches into one of his trademark rants. A passable sci fi tale with strong female roles delivered by a second generation of the Ridley Scott bloodline.

I turned my reading attentions back to the Jack Noble series by LT Ryan by finishing Thin Line yesterday. Noble is still getting his ass kicked regularly while plowing through an ever enveloping mystery about an assassination gone wrong. Ryan has a habit of piling on a little bit when it comes to creating roadblocks to his hero’s success. While that is frustrating at times Noble is still a very compelling and nuanced hero. I’ve already moved on to the next book in the series.




No comments:

Post a Comment