Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Back to the Wall

Best Buddies
This is the last blog entry concerning the wall I’ve been building to complement Deckzilla’s vast presence. That’s because I finally finished the damned thing yesterday in the remnants of Hurricane Hermine. I was really concerned about the lack of building blocks in the local Home Depots as they are divesting themselves of their summer stocks of things like – retaining wall blocks. I ran home during the lunch hour, changed into old clothes, drove like a bat out of hell to the one Home Depot that still had some, returned home, changed back into office attire and was back at my desk on time. After this exciting lunchtime venture the rest of the afternoon kind of faded into oblivion.
And It's Done
The rain did not stop as promised and Buddy wanted no part of his usual supervisory station if it meant getting wet so it was just me and rabbits in the back yard last evening as I finished the last row and wove the end into the hill side. I was a little proud of how it came out. The next step will be the terraces further up the hill but those won’t involve as much excavation as this one did. They may have to wait for spring and the return of retaining wall blocks to Home Depot though.(my back is thankful if that is the case)
Son and ABFA's Kitchen
I wasn’t the only one confronting building challenges yesterday. The Favorite Son, because he doesn’t get enough of this at work each day, decided to embark on his own construction project. He and the ABFA are having their entire kitchen redone and yesterday was demo day.

After I dried up from my wall time I went to see a movie on dateless date night. War Dogs was okay. It seemed to get confused about whether it wanted to be a dark comedy or a cautionary tale about two losers. It’s hard to “like” a movie in which the leads are as contemptible as these two young friends who plug into the Pentagon’s insatiable need for supplies. The story is obviously told from the Miles Teller character’s point of view so he comes across as the “good guy” while Jonah Hill’s is beyond loathsome. Hill dominates as a cringe worthy schemer who pollutes everything he touches and makes millions along the way; he’s the best thing about the movie. Again, though, hard to enjoy a movie where he makes you hate him as thoroughly as he does.
Always Checking out the Crowd





No comments:

Post a Comment