Thursday, October 31, 2013

Red Sox DNA Redeemed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Moment


Yesterday I wrote about the old getting up and going to work with a hangover muscles that hadn’t been exercised in a while.  They’ve apparently atrophied a lot more than I thought but as I made my way through the fog shrouded roads (mirroring my consciousness levels) to work today I could not stop smiling.  THEY DID IT!!!!

Those scraggly faced bearded wonders are world champions!  More than anything they re-forged a bond with their fans that was sadly missing for the last few years.  Anyone growing up in New England is exposed to Red Sox nation and most succumb to the siren song of life long, bone deep fandom.  It’s really ingrained into the sinews of the region.  My father, who died in 1977, has retreated further into my memory with the passing years but I always feel incrementally closer to him whenever I watch the Sox snatching wisps of memories of his inducting me into Red Sox lore.  Last night that wind was blowing at gale force strength.

That’s why there are so many Red Sox fans around the country and the world.  Subsequent generations may move out of New England but they rarely deny their birthright and transfer their loyalties to another team.  That’s why it’s called Red Sox nation.


Watching the Game Last Night
Sox fans felt that bond wasn’t respected the last few years culminating in last year’s bloated collection of underachievers masquerading as our beloved Sox.  Last night culminated the season long march to recapture that connection.

I stopped on my way home from work yesterday to buy some beer and champagne – something I never would have dared to do prior to 2004.  This generation of Red Sox fans is different – we expect to win. Of course, the first beer didn’t appear until the sixth inning (I’m not without some pre-2004 residual fears) with the Red Sox comfortably ahead. 

In a season of redemption it was completely appropriate that John Lackey pitched the Sox to the title.  Fairly or unfairly he was one of the lightning rods for the unlikable Sox of the past.  He pitched his ass off last night and finally acknowledged the fans as he left the game last night by tipping his cap.  The place exploded in appreciation.

Love you Man!
My wife and I watched the game together along with the Wonder Pooch.  He had to abandon the lap dog mentality since I was jumping up and cheering so much.  He took this a license to demand empty soda bottle chases between innings.  As the empty beer bottles accumulated I was wearing out the Lord’s Prayer for each Cardinal batter. 
My Wife's First Move - The Clippers
The game ended with the wife and I jumping around and dancing in a manner that was completely inappropriate for our age.  Screw it – we’re Sox fans.  We were soon joined by our daughter via Skype who had watched the game from enemy territory in New York with a like minded group of fans.  I was semi-delirious at that moment and kind of remember talking with her.  My son in law and I compared doomed playoff beards and I so enjoyed sharing this special moment with them.  My big sister also called and we shared a fun conversation.  Her husband, biggest Sox fan I know, was covering the game at Fenway and spoke about the difficulty of overcoming fan status to professionally execute his duties.  After the last out I think he let that façade fade for a few seconds to savor the moment.  
Daughter (bottom right) and Son In Law (top right)
Celebrating in the Heart Of the Evil Empire - SWEEEET!!!!!!
We’re planning a Saturday gathering in Rhode Island to celebrate the title.  Finally my poor son was cut off from the region wide celebration on a business trip down in Virginia so we made repeated Skype calls to his hotel room until he finally sleepily and good naturedly answered. This was something that had to be shared – he’s got the Red Sox DNA as well.  I’m sure this was going on all over the country last night as families reached out to their loved ones and shared the euphoria.
A Sleep Deprived Son Tolerating his Very Excited Parents
Last night as I headed to bed I glanced upwards and mouthed a silent thank you to my Dad for endowing me with the gift that is the love of the Red Sox.
Thanks Dad

The Wife Wouldn't Go For The Civil War Era Look
I Think I could Have Pulled it Off
 
Back to Normal - I'll Stop Shocking Myself Every Time I Walk by a Mirror

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to my very favorite uncle Bob!! I am a died hard Red Sox fan, so is my brother and sister and all of our children!! Great column tonight! Love you Jim!

    ReplyDelete