Monday, October 21, 2013

Aftermaths, Monadnock MEF, and Returns

Two Very Special People on Top of the Mountain

I had the Panorama Working Again! - Taken on Top of Mountain
Yesterday saw payment in full for the over indulgence generated by the excellent Saturday of pumpkin world records and Red Sox pennants.  The Keene Friend’s college neighbors partied well into the early morning hours – must be a lot of Sox fans around.  This has to be in some way the Big Guy exacting justice upon me for my own college antics.  I’m sure there was some middle aged guy a few decades ago near Strafford Ave in Durham, NH frustrated at various episodes of late night noise.  Goes around, comes around type of justice in play here.
The Clean Streets of the Day After
Fortunately the Red Sox win was vigorously lubricated with demon alcohol and I was sleeping through most of the carnage.  Buddy however was not so encumbered and since one of the devices the college kids employed was fireworks he was on high alert.  The house seemed to be at or near ground zero of the impact area.  Buddy doesn’t respond well to loud explosions (but who does really).

Yesterday's Headline!
Buddy’s response was to try tunneling out of his cage with all of the attendant racket.  My son was lucky enough to be attempting sleep in the next room and was not pleased.  I finally awoke to my son’s frustrated verbal exchanges with the terrified dog.  So I found myself outside at 4a.m. in my electric yellow lounge pants with Buddy, demonstrating that the world was not in fact ending.  I was a little impressed that at least one of the college parties was still in full swing a couple streets over.

Sunday morning dawned with everybody a little cranky due to Buddy’s early morning melt down.  What better way to overcome that than to climb a mountain!  We were continuing the weekend long celebration of the MEF’s birthday by climbing Mount Monadnock.  She loves running up mountains but had never been to Monadnock before.
MEF Took Picture from Base of Mountain (top photo)
and the Lake Seen From Top of Mountain (bottom photo)
Lake is in Middle of Bottom Photo

Before the mountain we went out for breakfast in downtown Keene.  The streets were amazingly clean after the mega-event of the day before.  You would never know 70,000 people and 30,000 pumpkins had been there.  We ate breakfast for the first time ever at The Stage restaurant at the head of the square.  I used to go there as a kid in its earlier incarnation as Edmond’s Diner.  So along with great food there was a heaping portion of nostalgia which you can never get enough of that.
Breakfast at The Stage
I thought the climb up the mountain would be my last based on how winded I was during last year’s climb not to mention the balky knee.  I was thinking that as my son, the MEF, and I started up the mountain trying to savor all the views a little extra.  I hadn’t counted on the recuperative power of the keto diet and the weight loss though.  The climb was almost effortless and this was the first concrete example of what a difference the weight loss meant.  I guess climbing a mountain with nearly fifty less pounds is easier – who knew?
 
Son and MEF Starting Out
The best part of the climb was hanging out with those two special young people.  While I was thankfully not struggling this was almost effortless for them and it was fun just being around them.  It was a fantastic autumn day and t-shirts until we broke through the tree line where the wind was definitely cooking.  The playoff beard came in extremely handy at this point (trying to think of a way to maintain it after the Sox season through the winter cold overcoming spousal objections).  We reached the top of the mountain and views more than redeemed the effort spent getting there.  We could even see the distant towers of Boston seventy miles away, just a special day.
Son and I Just Before the Wind Hit
The climb back down was uneventful except for telling everybody we met coming up that they were more than half way.  The MEF had us stop at a lake seen from the top to take a picture of the mountain.  All too soon they had to leave for the continuing series of events marking her birthday.
Son and MEF in the Customary Granite Bench
Luckily I was forced to spend the afternoon with a couple of high school classmates to watch the Patriots game.  The Keene Friend’s pumpkinfest meatballs had been cooking for well over 24 hours and were an excellent garnish to the bitter view on TV.  The Patriots lost a game they should have won against the loathsome Jets.  I didn’t feel as bad as normal because they really didn’t deserve to win the game as badly as they played.  I’m really starting to question either the play calling or Brady’s ability to execute.   At least I got to spend the time with friends instead of venting my wrath to an empty family room.
I Guess he is Human After All
My wife returned from her tax free shopping and we loaded a very tired Buddy back in the car for the return home.  This was one of the weekends where I really hated taking the right turn out of town.  Keene’s iron strong threads to my spirit were once again confirmed.  I was leaving home all over again.
Son and I on top of Monadnock - A Really Good Day

1 comment:

  1. Also customary: Travis' closed eye photo on the granite bench!

    ReplyDelete