Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Counseling Gone Amuck

Okay, last night was a night without baseball, hopefully something I can count on after tonight (GO SOX!).  Since this diamond vacation fell on date night I thought it was a win – win situation.  Then I made the mistake of going to see the Counselor.
Best Counsel I can Give - Don't See This
I thought this would be a slam dunk. Ridley Scott directing a collection of A-List stars with a Cormac McCarthy script.  How wrong I was.  This movie gets hoisted by its own petard by deliberately being obscure to the point of utter irrelevance.  I mean, I get it, drugs and the people who deal in them are bad, but this mess of a movie almost has you rooting for the cartel to wipe out the “heroes” because they’ve been spouting such nonsense on screen.

The blame here lies directly with McCarthy who as a screenwriter is a great novelist.  Obviously, because of his literary stature, no one had the cojones to tell him how bad his script was.  The superb actors try to lift the material but even they are incapable of making this watchable.  While one character is supposedly being tortured to death we have ten minutes of Ruben Blades as a drug lord spouting Kierkegaardisms about the transitory nature of life – Huh?

Maybe someone a lot smarter than me can make some sense out of this murky drama but that’s not a person I want to hang out with.  This is a case of a movie that aims to try something new but in doing so crashes and burns rather spectacularly.  There is no value at being vague simply to be vague.
Guest Bathroom Prep
My wife shared my lofty opinion of the movie.  I think she would even take in another showing of Machete Kills before seeing this again (well maybe not).  She had a very busy day yesterday starting her guest bathroom painting project.  She had the bathroom stripped out and began applying tape before I came home to remove the mirror as well as various other surfaces we don’t want paint on.  There'll be a lot less yellow in the very near future.
One of the coolest things about the information age is when someone sees something amazing it’s become increasingly easy to share that experience with friends via the internet.  I was running the traps through Facebook yesterday when I saw a video posted by one of my high school classmates (none other than Ms. KHS herself).  It was a real sock dropper.  A Dutch girl on one of those inexorable talent shows provides a brief glimpse of heaven.


The wife is sharpening her clippers for the playoff beard which will hopefully meet its fate tonight as the Sox close in on the World Series title they’ve earned.  The beard may survive another day because it would not be intelligent to shave after indulging in demon alcohol.  Let me be very clear (Yikes, an Obama-ism) – if the Sox win tonight there will be a celebration at the house involving beer.  I know it’s a school night but come on – a Sox title?!!!!  Luckily I spent a great deal of a misspent youth learning how to get up for work with a hangover.  It’s been a few years but the muscles are still there.

GO SOX!!!!!! Tonight’s the Night!
Playoff Beard - Doomed Tonight!!!!
Downhill Construction Nearing Finish Line

1 comment:

  1. Good to know about The Counselor, Dad! Jesse and I almost went to see that this weekend! We'll wait for Netflix now...

    Ironically enough, Jesse had never seen The Road (though he's read the Cormac McCarthy book), and we watched that last night!

    ReplyDelete