Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Futuristic Monday Thoughts


Yesterday I encountered the signature problem with epic weekends – they are always followed by a Monday.  This must be an exercise in scale because I had a Monday that matched the weekend only in the diametrically opposed ends of the scale each occupied.  I had anticipated this as kind of rule of nature and was girding for battle with the Monday blues when I showed up at my office to find the computer was still gone.  The IT folks had not performed their hoped for miracles over the weekend.

It’s illustrative about how deeply we are all invested in computers now that I was completely unable to do my job without it.  It wasn’t that long ago, just twenty years (older readers will confirm twenty years is not that long ago) when computers were just starting their inroads into our lives that have reached the current saturation level.

It’s funny to tell young people what life was like before the internet, something unfathomable to many of them.  It’s reminiscent of talking with my own grandparents who saw the advent of airplanes, automobiles, and World Wars during their lifetimes.  It’s interesting to imagine that same conversation between my kids and their grandchildren in some distant point in time. 

Yesterday one of the young (of course) IT consultants came to the rescue and jury rigged an older computer on my desk so we could complete the needed training.  It wouldn’t support the HD monitors so those monsters were out of use.  My excellent boss wandered by while we were doing the training and blew a gasket when he heard my regular computer hadn’t been fixed yet.  He made a very pointed call to the head of the IT company whose son was “working” on the problem.  I got my computer back this morning, with bells on.  I love my boss.
Over Monitored Desk Yesterday
These gyrations actually made Monday kind of fly by, never a bad thing.  It was especially welcome because I knew going in that anything would pale in comparison to the weekend.

Buddy ever the contributor did his part to bring me back to earth this morning and keep it real.  I was at the critical point in cooking breakfast when he wandered into the kitchen and deposited a technicolor yawn right at my feet.  He thus presented me with a choice of burning the eggs, getting him outside, or killing him on the spot.  I reluctantly chose option B only to find he had left an even bigger sample of his breakfast right in front of the door obviously trying to get outside.  So today started with burned eggs and dog vomit, Monday is leaking into Tuesday.
Playoff Beard - Day 23 - Go Sox!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment