Monday, October 14, 2013

EPIC!!!!!!


Buddy and I in position for the Day's Epicness
I think there may be another day to rival what yesterday was like in New England sports history but not that I can think of.  A typical Sunday, albeit with the additional flavor of daughter presence, was transformed by the antics of first the Patriots and then the Red Sox.  All too often I end up watching sports by myself and these were the kind of events that must be shared.
The Patriots' Manicure
I was incredibly fortunate to have two of my favorite people in the world to share yesterday’s epic events with.  Of course it was a little different to have two separate nail polishing sessions during the games but that only added to the surreal atmosphere.  Buddy provided some male companionship needed to balance things out.
The Red Sox Manicure
After a rather somnambulant watching of the Red Zone and enjoying my daughter’s frantic monitoring of her fantasy football team (playing against her husband yesterday) the Patriots geared up for a game against undefeated New Orleans.  The Patriots displayed their typical grit by keeping the game close and even leading for most of the game.  As has happened all too often in recent years they gave up a heartbreaking late touchdown that had them trailing.
The Final Dart
Brady tried to rally only to have his young receivers drop the ball again.  There were only seconds left when the Pats got the ball back seventy yards from the end zone and then something magical happened.  All of a sudden Brady was Brady again.  Tight spiraled laser beams were directed all over the field as the New Orleans defense reeled desperately.  Another of the portly Ryan brothers, New Orleans defensive coach, who seconds before was preening in a supposed win started to look a little nervous.  With a mere 5 seconds left Brady launched a beautiful dart into the end zone and the comeback was complete.  Ryan’s pain was New England’s bliss.  My wife, daughter, and I were jumping up and down and screaming in amazement.  Buddy did not understand and thought it was some kind of emergency and tried to join in the jumping.  He has very sharp claws which my daughter and wife soon learned.  It was truly a magical moment, except for the wounds.
So Cooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!
We were all so jazzed by the improbable win that we headed out for ice cream!  The local ice cream place is closing for the season so we had to get one last order in.  While out I realized there would be no work today but I had no beer in the house.  With my ice cream wilting from a covetous wife, we went in search of an open convenience store.  There was a dazed happiness form the other New Englanders basking in the glow of the Patriots’ win.

Back home for the second game of the day – the Red Sox versus the Tigers in the ALCS.  The game started out exactly as the painful Saturday night game with Tigers pitching absolutely dominating the Sox.  I kept thinking wouldn’t it be cool if the Sox staged another improbable comeback win combined with the Patriots but never thinking this kind of thing happens this side of Never Never land. 

The Sox finally maneuvered Detroit’s unhittable starter out of the game and put together some base runners.
Catcher With Home Run Ball Watches Hunter's Pain
Big Papi came up with the base loaded in the bottom of the eighth and I said to my wife and daughter – “Grand Slam on the First Pitch – just watch”.  I said this more a prayer than any realistic prediction but Ortiz launched his own laser beam towards the right field wall and thankfully Torii Hunter is now 38 and his legs didn’t get him high enough to catch the home run caught by a bullpen catcher while Hunter tumbled over the wall.  Suddenly it was 2004 again.  More apoplexy in the living room although this time I protected the ladies from Buddy’s claws.  This dance was followed an inning later when the Sox won on Salty’s single through the suddenly human defense of Iglesias.  The ladies and I were jumping up and down again as the Sox were chasing Salty down across the infield. 
Salty Pursued By Delirious Teammates
There may never be another day like yesterday but I was there for it and with two very special people; something I will always treasure.
 
The Beard's Magic Returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment