Thursday, October 17, 2013

Machete Mood Killer


A couple of days ago when my tech guru (daughter) was in temporary residence she showed me how to link this blog with Facebook for the first time.  I’ve been writing this almost daily blog for three years now and while I’m not sure I have anything cogent to say to or about the world, I’ve found it something that I really enjoy.  For some bizarre reason I look forward to writing each day. 

This will have the added effect of letting someone known to the blog readers as “The Cantankerous Friend” to fully vent his spleen towards me whenever I have the temerity to criticize our sainted president.  Heretofore he’s had to email me with his cantankerousness – now he’ll be able to comment directly.  Most of my Face book friends will know exactly of whom I speak, although he disputes the title, he’s just a bit outspoken.

To prove there is a higher power I need only look at my fate last night.  I thought I had put one over on the wife because she was actually asking to go see Robert Rodriguez’ latest opus – Machete Kills.  These movies are Rodriguez’ ode to the incredibly bad B-movies that used to frequent that lost facet of Americana – the drive-in theater.
I knew that my wife, hater of violence that she is, wouldn’t really connect with this movie in any way and my daughter warned her about it, but she was asking to go so I went with it.  Big mistake.  To be an effective satire of a movie genre the movie itself has to have some redeeming value.  This didn’t.  My wife was gasping as the beheadings commenced almost immediately – she doesn’t ascribe to my amusement at cartoonish, over the top mega-carnage.

Noted Shakespearean actor Danny Trejo in the title role did nothing to silence the gasps and recriminations aimed my way for the entire movie.  There were some really big stars in the movie including Sofia Vergara with a Gatling gun brassiere (tells you all you need to know) and Mel Gibson as the big villain.  I felt bad for Rodriquez because he lost the amusing edge his earlier Machete movie had.  I hope he doesn’t follow through with the threatened sequel – Machete Kills Again–In Space.

That higher power was not finished with me for my moral failure at the movie theater.  When we got home I found the Red Sox in the middle of being routed by the Tigers. The normally sure handed Pedroia failed to turn a double play and the Sox pitcher, Peavy, who hardly ever walks people was issuing free passes like party favors.  I am appropriately humbled for the temerity of my actions.
Peavy Last Night
I adamantly apologize for my failure and ask for forgiveness.  If not for me then for pain suffered last night by the millions of Red Sox Nation.
Playoff Beard - Need the Magic Back

No comments:

Post a Comment