Saturday, January 5, 2013

Turkey Talk

My Wife and Her Mischievous Sister
Yesterday was yet another appointment with the good doctor who excised so much of my ear recently.  The good news was the healing is going along apace while she said I cannot go back to swimming until it is fully healed.  Those extra Christmas cookies will stay firmly attached to my belly until that activity is re-established.

We’re gearing up for the welcome to the USA party on Saturday.  We got some good news that an old high school friend (my college roommate) is unexpectedly in the area and will attend the party; apparently forced by my Keene friend.  On the downside my daughter is still fighting her annual Christmas illness and cannot attend.

Yesterday I prepared another Christmas dinner for the visiting Panamanians.  Apparently I’m something of a legend down there when it comes to turkey dinners (I guess you have to accept fame when it comes no matter how insignificant).  I prepped the bird before I headed into work with detailed instructions for my wife when to put it into the oven.

These instructions were slightly modified due to the cooking requirements of arepas for the Panamanian ladies.  She called me late in the day to report that she and the ladies were making a quick dash to the grocery store for some needed items.  Knowing my wife and the persuasive vicinity of a Marshalls store to the grocery store I politely reminded her that she couldn’t spend three hours there because she had promised to prepare all the other dishes for the dinner.  She scoffed at my temerity to even suggest the possibility of being late.

I got home to an empty house and was soon greeted by my son’s arrival while I was preparing the other dishes.  Four after the phone call my and her posse came home burdened by Marshall’s shopping bags.  She was properly apologetic but I got to spend some quiet time with my son while they were gone so I didn’t mind, at all.  The turkey carving was something of an event as my wife’s cousin was aghast at some of the bones I was throwing away, claiming they still had a lot of meat on them.  She rescued several to gnaw on prior to the dinner.  I was a little challenged because usually I only had to worry about Buddy poaching during the carving.
The dinner was a huge success, liberally seasoned with almost non-stop laughter.  I’m a firm believer in the medicinal quality of an evening spent laughing with family and friends.  Last night I was fully medicated.
My Son at the Turkey Dinner
Some Late Night Avengers Viewing

No comments:

Post a Comment