Monday, January 21, 2013

Long Day’s Journey into Pat’s Downer

See You Next Year
The task yesterday was getting the beautiful Panamanian gang on the road in time to be back in time for the football playoff games in the afternoon.  This called for rolling directly out of bed into the car.  When you add this to a day before spent walking (and walking) around Washington DC and then partying into the night with the Panamanian mafia I was looking at a fairly tall task. 

My wife warned her countrywomen that we would be leaving right after getting up at 7am.  My wife and I were in a downstairs bedroom and when we got up a little before seven we could hear some stirring above.  I asked my wife a couple times to go up and check on them but she said she was sure they were up and moving.  Finally around 7:30 I told her she really needed to check.  She came back down from that check a little chagrined when she found all still in bed.  She said they reacted with incredulity to learn that we were serious about leaving without showers and makeup.  My wife made me the bad guy which I kind of liked.

To their immense credit they were down and loading the car less than ten minutes later.  They sleepily loaded the car and we were on our way back north.  I stopped for breakfast in northern Maryland and I wonder if they even remembered because they were still half asleep.  This was a much quieter ride north, at least until my wife woke up.  I don’t know if she appreciated my comment about thinking she needed some more sleep.

We made great time and before I knew it we were back in New England.  The gals weren’t hungry yet but around 1:30 I needed to get some food in my stomach.  I told them I would pull into the next MacDonald’s.  I was horrified when I did to see the MacDonald’s was located directly next to that shopping destination of choice – TJ Maxx!!  I had unwittingly chosen the same exit I used on the Friday trip down to refuel.  During that refueling the girls, ever alert for shopping opportunities, lobbied for a “quick” shopping trip (as if that exists in the real world).  This earlier trip led perfectly to this later opportunity as the girls, now wide awake, thanked me profusely for providing this chance to shop.

I bribed them with an extra-large French fry order and quickly got back on the road before they staged a mass escape from the car to shop.  All of this happened, of course, in Connecticut; adding to my anathema for driving through that accursed land.

We were back home and I was safely embedded on the couch watching the new TV shortly after 3:30.  It turns out I should have stayed in Washington as the Patriots laid a very large egg in ending their season.  The Ravens just flat outplayed them in the second half – time when the Patriots usually dominate.  It’s rare that Belichek gets out coached when it comes to half time adjustments but that clearly happened here.

Their defense completely lost their aggressiveness when they lost Talib which I cannot understand.  It seems they had nothing more to lose, as the Ravens were marching up and down the field, by staying aggressive even though they didn’t have Talib.  This year’s loss didn’t hurt as bad as last year’s super bowl loss because yesterday they lost to a better team.  They were out hustled, out coached, and out hit.  Well at least now my brother in law comes up here for the Super Bowl since the Patriots won’t be playing in it. Yep, definitely looking for some sort of silver lining.
Semi-Comatose Travelling Companions
Maryland Dunkin Donuts  
My Wife and Her Sister Frolicking at a Rest Stop
Dangerous Juxtaposition in Connecticut
 

1 comment:

  1. I had the exact same reaction as soon as the game ended!

    ReplyDelete