Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Out and Reflecting

My Date Last Night - Happy New Years Indeed!
My wife had been determined to find a series of wall signs that she saw back in October.  She wanted them as a Christmas gift but they seemed to have disappeared.  She had been to every Marshalls and TJ Maxx in a four state swath without success.  As a last gasp measure she had me stop by Marshalls on my way home yesterday.  I found a few signs and when I reported this she went nuts.  I had to send her photos via I-phone to view.  When I asked her which one she wanted she replied, “All of them!”.  She had received store gift cards for Christmas which took care of the cost.  As soon as I got them home I had to immiediately hang them on the wall.  She was right – they look great.

My wife and I enjoyed a semi-quiet New Year’s Eve last night.  This was definitely a break in tradition because New Year’s Eve is a huge deal for my wife, as with most Latinos.  It probably helped that she grew up in a country where this holiday takes place at the beginning of summer as opposed to the sub-freezing weather of New England.  Since we’re having a big party on Saturday to welcome my wife’s visiting family we decided to keep it quiet last night.

We dressed up and had a candle lit dinner and then commenced to dance.  With my wife, there will always be dancing. It turned out to be a lot of fun.  Buddy was extremely confused.  After we dressed up he expected us to head out for something and you could see him trying to figure out what was happening.  We established a Skype link with my wife’s family down in Panama and had kind of a shared party.  They spent a lot more time outside than we did. 

Since we consigned another year to the books I took some time this morning to reflect since these time periods seem to be increasing in speed as I head deep into the second half of life.  I’ve found I really enjoy writing in this blog.  I know the writing is semi-abominable and I may not have much to say to most people but I truly enjoy writing it, so deal with it.  Some of my family members like it because historically I’ve not been the best at keeping them updated about what I’ve been up to.  They now get a daily summary.

This was a good year for movies – if I have a hobby it would be movie watching.  A new theater open five minutes from home this year – so color me extremely psyched about the past year cinematically speaking.

In sports the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl only to lose because of a dropped pass by the usually sure handed Welker.  The beloved Red Sox were an absolute disaster this year, on all levels.  After a decade of unmatched sports success I guess we have earned a year like this – but it was painful.  We did have the summer Olympics to cushion the blow of the Sox implosion (a very little bit)

It was a year of reconnecting.  I attended a birthday party for the grandchildren of my sister whom I’ve been estranged from for years.  I loved the small time we got to spend with each other and look forward to more in the years to come.  Most of the reconnecting was with military friends.  I reconnected online with a bunch of Moatengators from the time I was a lieutenant back in the early 1980s.  I also found the best man from my wedding who I had not heard from in over twenty years.  He’s raising a young family in Thailand. One of the true highlights of the year was reconnecting with the Roothuggers, a tight knit group of friends from my Command and General Staff year.  We had an October reunion in Florida and it was as if almost twenty years had not passed at all.  I learned something about myself through all these reunions.  I’ve written many times in this blog about looking for home – being with these friends again was like returning home.

It was also a year for travel.  My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in Panama and also made a memorable trip to San Francisco and Monterrey California.  We bought some land down in Panama to build a second home.  My kids were even more prolific in globetrotting with Paris, the Mediterranean, and Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (of all places) falling victim.  My daughter victimized me with a devastatingly evil French puzzle to complete which added to the French reputation for being difficult.  My wife and I took the opportunity to do some day trips around New England which were so much fun – so important to stop and take a look around every now and then.

It wasn’t all good news this past year.  We lost a favorite cousin unexpectedly.  I found out I had cancer in my neck and ear which was successfully removed.  We had senseless tragedies in Colorado and Connecticut which defy understanding.  We also have an ongoing tragedy that makes no sense in Washington, DC as the government continues its inability to do the people’s work.

Most of all this past year was a chance to enjoy the family and friends I have been blessed with.  Thunder runs to Keene, my beloved home town, and the hospitality and easy camaraderie of friends.  Many trips to Rhode Island to enjoy the magnificent in-laws of my other sister – they, along with that sister, are literally too much fun to be around.  I am astounded with the young adults my kids have turned out to be, despite having to hang around me during their formative years.  They both have significant others in their lives now who I just love being around. 

As I survey the landscape of the past year – it definitely goes into the win column.  I owe this to a wife I find myself more in love with each day and family and friends who make life so much fun.
Happy New Year to You All
The New Wall - Some Great Words
Sharing the Party in Panama
 

No comments:

Post a Comment