Sunday, January 27, 2013

Frigid PanaBostonians and Mafia Connecting

My Wife and Sister In Law Exploring a Very Cold Common
Yesterday I dragged myself out of bed following the exertions of the night before at Maxwell Silverman’s.  My wife had planned a day in Boston and then a party at the home of a scion of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia (and she told me about these plans).  The gorgeous Pana-Gals were not exactly chomping at the bit to spend more time in the cold weather but they rangered on, anxious to see new sights.

I grew up in New England but was always intimidated by driving in Boston, mainly because the street system based in the early 1600s makes no sense whatsoever.  In the time I’ve been back in New England though I find myself more and more comfortable negotiating through the very confusing streets.  I took the Mass Pike into the city and jumped off at an unfamiliar exit but was soon able to pinpoint the Common (alright I did use the onboard map) and parked underneath the common.

We emerged onto the Boston Common and were immediately assaulted by the windy 24 degree weather.  It even felt cold to me which meant it was torture for the tropical ladies.  My wife, in particular, was struggling with the cold and had me walk in front of her as a wind block. She even borrowed a spare hat that I was carrying to cover her mouth, despite what she described as a heavy scent of Buddy permeating the heat.  Her cousin’s daughter was enthralled by the very friendly and hungry Common squirrels, which are unknown in Panama.  We stopped by the ice skating at the Frog Pond and made our way quickly by the state capitol heading for a warmer destination, The Quincy Market, that just coincidentally included shopping opportunities (go figure).

We spent the rest of the afternoon in the heated environs of Faneuil Hall which the gals dove into with their usual shopping acumen.  I was appointed to my normal duties of overwatch since I forgot to bring a book with me.  I enjoyed the constant stream of people watching opportunities, something I really enjoy. 

I also took some time to read some of the historical markings abundant in this cradle of the American Revolution.  I made a vow to myself to return on one of the weekends while my wife is gone.  I was a little ashamed that I had never walked the Freedom Trail in Boston despite growing up immersed in the local history.  I’ll take a day, hopefully much warmer, to return to Boston and rectify that shortcoming.

The Pana-Gals topped off their shopping with some of Boston’s famous Clam “Chowdah” served in bread bowls.  I’m not a fan of the concoction so I wandered through the innumerable food vendors until I spotted a burger bar.  Ari’s was run by a very bellicose and efficient Eastern European (I think) who demanded your order and then made damned sure you got it from his hard working cooks (family members I think).  I made the mistake of ordering the largest burger which turned out to be immense.  I did get a couple of admiring looks as I made my way back to the Gals in the food court.  Sadly the looks were all directed at the burger.  The burger was awesome although it did hit my stomach like the proverbial rock – but that’s what a great burger does.

We returned to Worcester last night to gather at the house of a friend for the planned dinner.  It was a great juxtaposition of the Pana-Gals and the Panamanian Mafia, two of my favorite ingredients for a good time.  The gals gathered around for pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres which were devoured in a fairly amazing space of time.  We were shortly joined by one of the true characters of the mafia – the resident jokester.  I knew it would be fun to see him match wits with my sister in law who would be the perfect foil for his non-stop jokes.  I was not disappointed and the rest of the evening was spent watching the verbal jousting match.  It really was too much fun; another great evening.  I’m going to miss the Pana-Gals whose departure draws nigh.
Frog Pond Ice Skating
Pana-Gals at the State House
Shopping (Of Course)
My Sister in Law Battling an Attacking Lobster
My Post for Most of the Afternoon
Heated Pana-Shopping
Chowdah in the Bread Bowl
The Juxtaposition Starting Out
The Jokester (Yellow Shirt) Arrives
Matching Wits with My Sister in Law

No comments:

Post a Comment