Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cold Start to Panatraveling Day

Very Cold Southbridge Yesterday
Yesterday was our planned trip to Washington, DC.  I had to work half a day before I loaded the gang of beautiful Panamanian women into the car.  Unfortunately that work was spending the morning in a small nearby town talking about a new bus route.  Even more unfortunately I had to spend this time outside in 12-16 degree weather with a brisk wind.  I pride myself on being able to handle the cold pretty well but I was a hurting cowboy after the first hour; should have worn the long underwear.

One of the after effects of being cold all morning was the attendant exhaustion.  My wife told me I looked as white as a sheet when I walked in the door from the cold morning.  I really wondered if I was up to the eight hour drive but there was no way I was going to wimp out.  After the first two hours I was ready to perform the unprecedented act of letting my wife take over driving (something she was more than ready to do) but I found a second wind and made the drive myself.

I got home to find the gang in full preparation mode.  This of course sent Buddy off into one of his pre-trip melt downs which he somehow thinks this will endear him to us to the point we’ll take him with us.  He spent most of the time in the cage although my sister in law almost filled the cage with dog biscuits when we left.  My Keene friend came down later to spend the weekend with Buddy.

The trip went well, except, as always, for Connecticut.  These gals travel well.  I took the northern route through Pennsylvania which is picturesque and has a lot less traffic.  It was extremely nostalgic because this was the route I used with the family for dozens of trips back home when I lived in Northern Virginia.  For some weird reason it brought back good memories of time spent with my kids.  I remember teaching both of them to drive on some of the long lonely stretches of the Pennsylvania interstate.

We made it in less than 7.5 hours so I might have slightly fractured a few traffic laws.  We arrived in Maryland at the home of one of the original members of the Panamanian mafia to a warm, pizza filled welcome.  We settled in for four hours of beer, wine and camaraderie.  This time with good friends more than redeemed any physical effort expended reaching this point.  Today we head out to an inauguration filled Washington, DC for some chilly sight seeing.
The Beautiful PanaGals at Frigid New York Rest Stop
The Welcome Party - Pizza, Wine, and Attitude - Great Combination
My Wife Sitting Next to Our Awesome Host (on Left)

No comments:

Post a Comment