Sunday, January 13, 2013

Panama Invades the Granite State

The Gang Fascinated by the Ice
Yesterday was an epic trip up to my hometown, Keene, New Hampshire, with my wife’s Panamanian posse. They wanted to do some sightseeing before the inevitable shopping (tax free) so they committed to an early start.  I was conveying these intentions to our Keene host, my friend.  I told him they wanted to be up there around 10 am but if my experience with them was any indicator – look for us in the early afternoon.

We already packed and ready to leave our house at 11am (right again!) when my wife’s sister noticed we were leaving Buddy the Wonder Pooch to spend the day in his cage.  She declared this simply would not do.  I told her there was no room for him and the entire group comfortably since we couldn’t use the rear seats with Buddy on board.  She said they would make this sacrifice for Buddy (he’s apparently been doing that worming his way into the heart thing he does so well).  Im not sure the rest if the gang was as enthusiastic about Buddy’s company but my wife’s sister is almost a force of nature.

The trip up was the usual talk filled adventure with the loudest one earning the right to talk first.  My wife was overcome with laughter (fun to watch) as her sister observed after waking up from a quick nap that her well-endowed cousin’s chest made for a comfortable pillow to sleep on.

It was unseasonably warm yesterday so we couldn’t take the gang out onto the ice at Robin Hood Park where I skated as a kid.  They were still impressed and took dozens of photos.  They were especially intrigued by a couple kids sledding down a nearby hill.  This was heavy nostalgia because I slid down the same hill almost a half century ago.  My wife decided she would remain in the car during this winter foray – snow holds no charm for her any more (if it ever did).

I gave a quick tour of the city (it’s really not that big).  The most exciting portion was pointing out the spots where the movie Jumanji was shot.  This especially got the attention of the youngest member of the gang.  They quickly tired of the tour and ejected my friend and I at the Elm City Brewery (our haunt of choice) so they could engage in what they do best – SHOPPING!!!!

To our intense pleasure, our favorite bar tender was on duty.  My friend had shown me a recent front page article which had her picture featured. We complimented her on her notoriety and she kept the beer flowing all afternoon which I thought was an extremely good exchange.  I really enjoy these afternoon with my Keene friend as we pontificate on life and generally catch up without distraction (well, except the bartender).

I never expected to spend the entire afternoon there but by the time we made contact with the Panamanian shopping expedition it was well into the third quarter of a football game that started almost three hours after we first took our seats (you do the math).  My friend and I laughed out loud when we got the predicted answer from my wife that they were in the check-out line.  Thirty minutes later (TJ Maxx has very long check-out lines) we reunited and headed over to Margaritas for dinner.

We had a lot of fun and I carefully installed my Keene friend next to me to perform his duties of being my filter.  He performed admirably and we completed the dinner without a single patron being assessed inappropriately (well almost).  A couple of really cute kids got out to chase the lights from a disco ball on the floor which led my wife to ask the waitress if dancing was allowed.  My Keene friend was checking for quick exits when he was rescued by her negative answer.

We left the restaurant and the gals wandered up Main Street to check out the town and take some Jumanji related pictures.  My wife made a bee line for a kitchen supply store that she adores, apparently the shopping bug was not quite sated for the day.  My Keene friend and I stayed outside for the beginning of this excursion and noticed a stand up photo of a really ugly guy in the store’s front window.  While we were discussing the challenges this guy must face we noticed the sales clerk manning the register inside the store was said ugly dude.  We had to get the story behind this and we ended up talking with him for a while.  He was a really nice kid and the photo was a gag gift for the owner of the store who turned the tables by putting it up in the front window.  You just got to love small towns.   

After assessing that we had done enough damage  for one day we returned to my friend’s house to watch a re-run of Keene’s victory in the Pumpkin Wars.  Loading the car for the return trip was a bit of a challenge as Buddy was literally encased in TJ Maxx bags.  He didn’t seem to mind.  My wife, on the other hand, had to drive (you did read the part about my extended stay at the Brewery, right?) and the trip seemed agonizingly slow due to some pretty thick fog.  We made it home and I checked the news to find out Peyton had choked once again in the playoffs – not a bad day, at all.
Gang Pose
Keene Friend Gets into the Act
My Wife Telling me Who is #1 in Her Heart When I ask Why She Stayed in the Car
At The Elm City Brewery!
At Margarita's Surrounded by Filters
The Rest of the Gang At Margarita's
Margarita's Disco Kids
My Wife's Sister Dominating Main St Keene
Jumanji Spot
The Ugly Dude Photo - My Friend Inside Talking with the Subject

No comments:

Post a Comment