Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rhode Island Panashopapalooza

The Pana-Gals Celebrating Their Victory in the Snow
The beautiful Panamanian house guests decided they did not have enough quality time with me in the car so yesterday we took off for a quick day trip down in Newport, Rhode Island.  The stated purpose of the trip was to see the impressive mansions and some sight seeing.  There was also a remote possibility that we would stop by the Navy base to do some shopping at the PX.  My radar immediately went up and I insured I had my book with me to kill some time while the shopping went down.

The drive down was the usual combination of hilarity and opinions offered at breakneck speed.  It was good day to visit Newport because the cold weather kept the crowds way down.  This had the same effect on the ladies who were not keen on leaving the warmth of the car.  We did the usual Bellevue Avenue mansion tour – still impressive evidence of some people just have too much money.

We stopped at a coastal park so the beautiful Panagals could take some pictures.  I wandered up to a knoll which had a very nice monument to the victims of the EqyptAir disaster in 1999.  My sister in law and her cousin and cousin’s daughter were the only ones who braved the rocky shore for photos.  I enjoyed climbing the rocks although I did take note that I’m not as spry as I once was.  My wife stayed in the warm car so I was not bombarded with a constant stream of “Be Carefuls!!”

The short sight seeing trip accomplished, we then headed for the real object of the trip – SHOPPING!!!  They had an actual Navy sailor on the gate and he saluted me when we came through the gate.  That was kind of nice and made me realize that I do still miss the military (a little). 

The gals approached the Base Exchange with an almost reverent awe around 12:30pm.  I was summarily dismissed and quickly forgotten about.  I settled into the attached Blimpie’s with my book and a superb roast beef sub.  The book, Memory of Light, was so good as I immersed myself in the final battle while time sped by.  I was vaguely aware that my wife came by once for a rest room break and insure I hadn’t abandoned them.  She reported the girls were having a fabulous time and had found some amazing bargains. I reacted with appropriate awe.

I looked up at one point and noticed the Blimpie’s had closed and it was getting dark outside.  My wife’s cousin’s daughter came by to excitedly report that snow was falling outside.  It was fast approaching 5pm and I was completely amazed at their ability to shop for five hours straight without breaking for food or even coming up for air.

Since the snow storm was supposed to be bad near the coast I decided we needed to get on the road.  I was a little daunted of the task of trying to extract the gals, dedicated shoppers that they were; especially when they were as embedded as deeply as they were.  They employed a fairly unique defense by spreading to the four corners of the exchange while I tried to locate my wife, the ring leader.

Luckily I’ve spent thirty years learning her tactics and I was not distracted and went straight to the dressing room where I pinned her down.  (I read your book, you magnificent etc, etc!!!)  I told her it was time to leave the almost deserted exchange as other shoppers had already noticed the rapidly worsening storm.  My wife agreed to head towards the check out and set out to corral her fellow shoppers.  Twenty minutes later I went by the check out area and ascertained they had finally reached the counter.  I wandered over to help with my ID card and watched an amazing amount of material build up on the counter.  These ladies can shop!!!!

Despite not eating since breakfast the ladies were in a completely celebratory mood.  I got the impression they were in a similar mood to athletes who had just won the big game.  They were also extremely excited to see the snow falling, a unique experience for them.  I was less excited about the snow since I had to drive through it, Rhode Island rush hour traffic, and a couple of really long bridges.

We made it home with just a little bit of adventure.  I enjoyed hearing my wife explain about snow storms; never realizing she had achieved expert status in her years in New England.  A very late dinner for the tired shoppers allowed them to hold forth on their victories of the day.  I get to go back to work today but I’m going to miss my times in the car with the Pana-Gals (a little bit).
The Rocky Newport Shore
My Sister in Law Made the Climb and was Typically Camera Shy
The Rest of the Brave Ones
The Entire Gang
The Cool EgyptAir Monument
My Wife Supervising Chaos at the Checkout Counter
 

No comments:

Post a Comment