Friday, January 18, 2013

Nirvana!!!!!!

Nirvana Achieved!
Yesterday was the day!  I finally got to open my big Christmas present when the Geek Squad arrived to install my new television.  While they are a bit pricey you cannot put value on what they do so easily.  The same tasks would have left me totally confounded.

I moved the old trusty television out of the way and staged all the components awaiting their arrival.  They showed up right on time and were of course, young.  For obvious reasons that lack of years actually made me feel more confident.  I know my own kids swim circles around me in technology and expected the same from these two.

They got right to work and shortly had the wall mount up above the fireplace.  There ensued a spirited discussion between my wife and I.  She was concerned about having wires hanging everywhere and at the same time wanted all the cable boxes and disk players up on the mantle.  I tried to explain this would create more hanging wires but she wasn’t in the listening mode.  Since this was important to me I held the line and the end result vindicated my stand (not that she’ll ever admit that).

The guys did a great job masking all the wires (I think they heard the discussion with my wife (maybe they spoke Spanish) but this was the toughest part of the job.  Once the TV was mounted the geek squad performed their most important magic.  They programmed remotes so everything came in to one remote.  It was so simple (for them).

One of the coolest things they did was program and connect the headphones.  This is incredibly important because it allows me to hear the TV when my wife is spouting on the phone in the adjacent kitchen.  This usually involves me raising the TV volume until either she is driven from the kitchen or a sound admonition delivered to me. I can now don the headphones and both of us can be noisy. I put it to use last night as the beautiful Panamanian girl gang was holding forth in the kitchen.

The biggest return on significant investment was the high definition viewing.  I thought I had an HD TV before.  I was kidding myself.  This was like being in the scene myself, just incredibly clear.  I thought back to a time in the early 2000s when I was living in Northern Virginia.  HD was just on the horizon and I was wandering through a Best Buy when I passed by a flat screen TV playing the original Star Wars movie.  I was blown away and determined at the moment that I would have something like this someday.  It was cost prohibitive at that time with two kids either in or headed for college.  Yesterday I finally made it, thanks in part to the college education one of those kids.  Nirvana, indeed.
The Pre-Game Look
The Geek Squad At Work
My Two Newest Best Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment