Friday, December 21, 2012

Spousal Adventure Day

Christmas Party and Abundant Pizza
My wife can sometimes amaze me with her capacity to get things done, usually dragging me into her efforts.  Yesterday was a prime example of this ability. 

After a board meeting first thing (always an eye opener), I spent the entire morning ensconced in my office with a team of co-workers putting the final touches on the major scheduling exercise for January.  This was followed by the in office Christmas parity where I had way too much pizza (if that is even possible).

My wife called around noon frantically declaring she had been trying to reach me all morning.  Since I was attending the board meeting I put my cell phone in silent mode and when I glanced down I noticed I had missed seven different calls from her (This could not be good news).

She had been involved in a minor car accident with her brand new car.  She was waiting for a parking space at the post office when some moron backed into her from a parking space.  Luckily there was no damage to her car and only a rubbed spot on his.  He got out of his vehicle and went first to check the damage on my wife’s car (sure sign he knew he was at fault). 

When he started talking to my wife he immediately picked up on the fact that she was Hispanic and all of sudden was trying to make it seem like this was her fault.  He called another redneck over and loudly claimed she had backed into him.  He even offered to let her pay for the damage to his car without having to go through insurance.  She felt a little intimidated but they were picking on the wrong Latina.  She stated she had insurance and they would let them handle this or they could call the police.  He quickly demurred on police involvement and after exchanging information they both went on their way.

As soon as I got home she insisted we call the insurance company.  As usual USAA was the absolute best.  They took a statement from her (after telling me to shut up) and said they had the information they needed if this bozo tried to claim she was at fault.

She had used the day to expertly paint the hallway I wrote about yesterday and once again proved that her taste is so much better than mine.  It looked great and is a huge improvement.  I helped by finishing off some of the high spots she couldn’t reach.

She then roped me into helping her make a couple dozen empanadas for our soon to arrive children.  We followed this up with another four dozen Christmas cookies, especially for my daughter who arrives today.  I was then instructed to go through several thousand photos on the computer and find some pictures of her friends. Once I had found some she reviewed, made the selection she wanted and then instructed me to send them to Wal-Mart.

So to review, yesterday my wife – was in an accident, mailed all our Christmas cards, cleaned he three guest bedrooms/bathroom, applied two coats of paint to the hallway, wrapped a dozen presents, filed an insurance claim, cleaned the basement, cleaned a desk, made both empanadas and Christmas cookies, Skyped with her family Panama, hung pictures in the newly painted stairwell, ordered photos, and supervised me.  Like I said, amazing.
Basement Stairs Before
Basement Stairs After
Mission Complete

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe the nerve of some people! Glad USAA will be there on mom's behalf!

    Can't wait to see you guys and the new stairs and, most importantly, THE COOKIES!!!!

    ReplyDelete