Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Prep Interrupted by Football

The Christmas Balls Prep While Buddy Cruises the Superglue
We made our way home from New Hampshire yesterday through a very thick fog after coming out to find our car encased in ice.  The fog was a result of rapidly warming weather which had the added benefit of removing the ice from the roads. 

My wife is a very driven woman and she had set her sights on getting the house decorated for Christmas which collided very directly with my Sunday football prerogatives.  She seemed amenable to that until she came into the room and found me on the computer writing yesterday’s blog.  Apparently that created the impression that this football game wasn’t as important as others and she could commandeer my time to assist her in the preparation.  I tried to explain that I was only writing during commercials (explains jumpy writing yesterday) but she was having none of it.  She employed all the tricks she acquired over thirty years of marriage but I hung tough. 

We were soon working on these huge Christmas balls (well maybe not so tough).  We live on top of a hill which in the winter functions as a wind tunnel.  She’s had these ornamental balls out on the porch the last few years and they have not fared well – some ending up several houses away.   She had me removing the factory installed tops and then super gluing the tops back on along with some mystery thread, who’s purpose could not be explained (to me).   Buddy contributed by stealing the super glue package which I rescued before he glued his mouth shut (and gave my wife ideas).

Fortunately this could take place in front of the TV and she even watched the game with me since it was the Patriots.  The Patriots came out a little flat yesterday but they always seem to have a bad game against Miami who for some reason elevates their game against the Pats. I was squirming after Welker dropped yet another touchdown pass despite an overall great day from him.  Brady looked human and the running game wasn’t working.  The game came down to one of those situations where the Patriots had a chance to put away the opponent with a long drive.  They have consistently failed to do this but yesterday they accomplished it with some flair, imposing their will on the fading Dolphins.  A down game for the Pats but a win which clinched the division crown for the 9th time in ten years (and yes we’re a little spoiled up here in New England). 
The rest of the day was spent listening to the Red Zone as I moved about the house accomplishing the decorating tasks my wife found too onerous for her participation.  A lot of plants got moved.
Not as Easy as it Should Have Been - But a Win
 

No comments:

Post a Comment