Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Arbitrating Baseball Moves

Welcome to Boston Mike!
I spent the better part of the day yesterday sitting in yet another arbitration session.  This time I was called upon to testify about my earlier stint here.  It was entertaining to spar with the union’s lawyer who had to hate what I had to say.  This consumed most of the day but since it was such a gorgeous day weather-wise I was looking forward to a long run to ease the tension created by the long morning.  Of course it helps when I bring my running gear with me to the office.  I had locked the office door and was half undressed when I realized I had forgotten the stuff at home, time to feel a little bit idiotic.

While I was sitting in the arbitration session I was checking the internet for news and learned that the Red Sox had acquired Mike Napoli.  I love this move if for no other reason than he will no longer be batting against the Sox.  This guy absolutely destroyed Red Sox pitching over the last few years.  If he can duplicate that effort while playing with the Sox he could be an MVP caliber player.  I know I’m setting my sites too high there but I like this guy – it’s as if the Sox are getting back to acquiring the gritty, baseball first type players that led to the 2004 crown.  They may not be as pretty as some of the elite players the Sox have gambled on (and lost) for the past few years but they’re a hell of a lot more fun to root for.

In equally uplifting news, the player Sox fans love to hate – Arod (or Smacky McBluelips to a select few) will miss another half of a season because of hip surgery while costing the hated Yankees north of $20 million.  Yet another steroid abuser who is breaking down late in his career. A good day in baseball news.
Karma Biting Smacky?

No comments:

Post a Comment