Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Glide

At the End of a Truly Great Day -With Some of the People Who Made it Happen
MEG, Son, Daughter, Son In Law, Wife, Me
I am coming down off my annual Christmas high.  This is decidedly not a chemical high but the feeling of family and closeness that is all too elusive for the rest of the year.  The house filled up rapidly yesterday after my last blog post as the denizens of the upstairs bedrooms slowly made their way down.  At 9:30am it was agreed by consensus that I should make the annual “get your ass out of bed” announcement for those recalcitrant victims of Nyquil still refusing to join us.  My sister, one of the recalcitrant, complained that I did not play the 1812 overture this year to accompany the announcement.

We woke to a dusting of snow so technically we achieved a white Christmas which is always welcome.  I had to hurry out and use my snow blower on the dusting of snow before it melted, much to the consternation of neighbors and my wife.

I love sitting back and watching the people I love open Christmas presents – it’s the best part of the day.  I love the reactions.  Seeing the people I love being happy and or surprised is an elixir of the most potent variety.  As usual I received a boatload of gifts that I’m not sure my conduct merits but I have a lots of movies and puzzles to help pass the upcoming two month separation from my wife.  She even conspired with my son to get me a huge new TV which should be delivered sometime in the next few weeks.

Buddy had sniffed out his present, a massive bone, earlier in the week but it was safely hidden behind a wall of other presents so he couldn’t get at it.  Even when presented with it he was a little baffled by the wrapping paper.  He was soon dominating the bone out on the deck.  He also received a squeaky stuffed squirrel which was soon eviscerated. 

I find it hard to believe this is our seventh Christmas in this house. My sister’s family joined us on Christmas Eve but there was a huge hole with my son spending Christmas Eve and morning with his MEG up in New Hampshire.  After daughter created mimosas and fried dough my son and the MEG showed up to complete the family gathering. 

A couple decades ago I (and the fellow male members of the family) volunteered to cook the Christmas dinner due to the lack of timely delivery by the female population.  Yesterday I cooked the normal two turkeys (one gluten free for my sister) and aided by both my son and son in law delivered the meal on time.  As the years have progressed I find that this task may be becoming a little too much for me, combined with the rest of the day.  The last couple of years I find myself absolutely exhausted by the time the meal is served.  The rest of the day I have to fight to stay engaged and miss out on some of the favorite day of the year for me. 

The good thing is that I have adequately trained the next generation.  Next year I may come up with a new plan of attack where I’m responsible only for the turkey.  I know I have to do something but I’m reluctant to concede anything to my age.

My Keene friend showed up in the evening and the day was complete.  We booby trapped his present, making it hard to open, sealed with reams of tape in the same fashion he had routinely done to us over the years.

My sister and her family had to leave for home shortly thereafter and I felt a real sense of loss when they left.  I didn’t want Christmas to end but here it was happening again. 

As I stated above, Christmas is all about traditions, connections to the past.  The mimosas and fired dough were legacies of my mother.  My father used to cook the Christmas turkey as well.  My Keene Friend always spent Christmas night with us (although he usually showed up a lot earlier).  My daughter is even into the second decade with her Christmas sweater.  Traditions evolve though and new memories are made.  My son in law has truly become part of the family and I love having another son.  I think the MEG is still kind of feeling her way around us but she is a fantastic addition to the group and I really like the way my son is around her.  We also video chatted with both Panama and Rhode Island throughout the day - who'd have imagined that, even just a few years ago.

Just before my sister had to leave we were sitting next to the now barren Christmas tree, stripped of its foothold in our presents.  We reminisced about Christmases past and how important they were to our mother.  She said, “Mom would have loved being here today”.  I could not think of higher praise and a thousand memories rushed into my head.  I’m sometimes very tough on my mother in my own mind so this was the best gift I received all day.  Thanks sis.
Opening Presents
Buddy Seeking Guidance
Me Making Sure the Driveway is Clean Before it Could Melt
Daughter Approved Mimosas
Buddy Trying to Figure out the Bone
Success!!
Son in Law and Daughter (w/ the famous sweater) Surrounding my Brother In Law
Really my Brother in Heart and Soul
The Son and MEG Arrive!
A Group of the Finest Young People - Anywhere
Son in Law Knocking Out Some Spuds
Me Carving on the Christmas Turkey
Christmas Dinner
My Very Wise Sister
Keene Friend Trying to Overcome the Wrapping
Merry Christmas Everyone -
I Hope Your Day was at Least Half as Fun as Mine

No comments:

Post a Comment