Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Officially Starts

So Good to Have them Home
So we all survived the Mayan apocalypse, yet another lesson in not taking Hollywood too seriously.  It’s crazy how a wild ass theory based on the thinnest of archeological records is given life by a major motion picture and suddenly has thousands of adherents claiming the end is near. 

Yesterday I was sitting through another interminable arbitration session for an employee we terminated back in April (almost wishing the Mayans had been right).  I was a witness because I did the investigation which resulted in his termination.  There was only one problem, I had to pick up my daughter and son in law in New Haven that afternoon and that was decidedly more important to me. 

As the lawyers went through my investigation line by line the time oozed by as slowly as this past Monday on the Mohs table did, with almost as much pain.  During a break I mentioned to the arbitrator that I needed to pick up my daughter and several times after that he told the lawyers to move along.  I finally escaped and the best boss in the world actually gave me a ride back to the office so I could get on the road.

My daughter and son in law are the only motivation that could possibly entice me to dive into holiday week Connecticut traffic.  Maybe everybody stayed home for the apocalypse because we flew through the Nutmeg state and arrived with time to spare at the New Haven train station.  I utilized a new short cut that I won’t talk about because I don’t want to share it with anybody.  Let’s just say Hartford is no longer the soul crushing obstacle it used to be.

Watching two of my favorite people walk out of the train station really kick started Christmas for me.  We mounted the Highlander and headed home.  We blazed a new trail escaping from New Haven because we had noted a huge traffic jam on our normal escape route.  We found a fantastic short cut – something of a theme last night.  I think we made the best time ever getting back up to Massachusetts.

We had considered going to a cousin’s house for a party to welcome home his daughter but my daughter was not feeling well (another Christmas tradition).  We settled for a lively dinner of mystical pizza at Zorbas where we caught up with each other. 

My daughter and I revealed our answers for who should be cast in a movie of The Stand.  She recently completed reading this, one of my favorite books of all time, and we challenged each other to cast a new movie that is currently in pre-production.  You can see our respective lists below.  

We tried to do a face time phone call with my son and caught him in mid-debauchery.  I was glad to see him surrounded by friend as they celebrated the season with each other. The call was short because I think the operation of a phone was beyond his mental prowess at that exact moment.

The real winner of the evening was me because I am now surrounded by some people I really love and that’s what Christmas is all about.

The Stand Competition

Character – Stu Redmond – my choice – Matthew McConaughey – daughter – Tom Hardy

Character – Frannie Goldsmith – my choice – Carrie Mulligan – daughter – Jessica Chastain

Character – Randall Flagg – my choice – Daniel D Lewis – daughter – Christian Bale

Character – Mother Abigail – my choice – Alfre Woodard – daughter – Ciceley Tyson

Character – Larry Underwood – my choice – Josh Brolin – daughter – Michael Pitt

Character – Glen Bateman – my choice – Robert Duvall – daughter – Wallace Shawn

Character – Nick Andros – my choice – Joseph G Leavitt – daughter – Michael B Jordan

Character – Lloyd Henreid – my choice – Nicholas Cage– daughter – Sam Rockwell

Character – Harold Laudner – my choice – Jonah Hill – daughter – Paul Dano

Character – Trashcanman – my choice –William H Macy – daughter – Jackie Earl Haley

Character – Tom Cullen – my choice – John Malcovitch – daughter – Ed Norton

Character – Nadine Cross – my choice – Michelle Williams – daughter – Liv Tyler

Character – Ralph Bretner – my choice – Tommy Lee Jones – daughter – Eric Taylor

We decided the only clear winners were me for Randall Flagg and her for Lloyd Henreid.  We both had a lot of fun with this and considered a lot of the same actors before discarding them for our final choices.  I love that kid.
Winner for Randall Flagg
Seductive Evil
Winner for Lloyd Henreid
Reluctant Evil and Chaos
 

No comments:

Post a Comment