Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ear Trimming

I Know How These Guys Feel
Yesterday was an extremely quiet day at work with most of the staff and my boss taking vacation days.  I had to use my wife’s Highlander again because of the icy roads which her car has a tendency to ignore.  I had a quick meeting with the union about the January job pick.

It’s amazing how much can get done if we just sit down and talk about issues.  Their old tactics were to simply state something was unacceptable and refuse to talk about it. Since the last bargaining session they’ve adopted a new way of dealing with management.  A lot of it has to do with the change of the business agent.  In less than ten minutes we were able to iron out any differences and reach a mutual agreement.

I wish the politicians in Washington would figure out how to do this.  They’ve painted themselves into a corner and seem to be playing chicken with all of our futures; seeing who will be the first the blink.  It’s not important who can declare they won if they send us into another economic spiral.  It’s time for the real leaders (if there are any left in D.C.) to stand up. 
I had yet another date with the doctor yesterday.  She inspected the ear and said only half of the skin graft had taken.  Her next task was to trim away the part that had not.  She did this by exploratory scissors; cutting until I could feel it.  It was an interesting if mildly painful way of clearing away the dead skin.  It looks like I’ll have this damned ear bandage on for at least another couple of weeks.  At least the cancer is gone although I’m beginning to feel a little like Vincent VG.  Maybe I should try sketching.

My wife and I decided to stay home last night.  We’re both recovering from the frantic holiday efforts.  This is really the first time we’ve been able to sit back and rest.  My wife has been preparing the house for the arrival of her sister and assorted other Panamanians next week so she’s exhausted.  As I took the rubbish down to the curb last night I surveyed the bottles to be recycled.  We had at least triple the normal amount – a very good Christmas, indeed.
Evidence of Christmas Cheer

No comments:

Post a Comment