Sunday, December 2, 2012

Grousing Down Memory Lane

Billy's Diner - Sigfried's Haunt
Yesterday was a very long day but it was a hell of a lot of fun.  My wife and I journeyed up to New Hampshire through some very wintry weather along with Buddy the Wonder Pooch.  We were on a mission to buy the Christmas present my wife was getting for me – a 70” LED TV (be still my heart).  We made it up to Keene and picked up or friend and dropped off Buddy.  We had located a potential TV in a Best Buy flyer but the nearest store was in Nashua so off we headed, a little nervous with all the accidents we were passing.

Nashua holds a lot of good memories for me.  I almost married a gal from there, my college sweetheart. As we got closer to the city I started recognizing a lot of places from that time.  A couple places she would drop me off or pick me up as I hitchhike over to Keene to see her as well as a bunch of other locations we had shared together.  I was tempted to take the turn off for her old house to pass by but I’m not sure the kill order against me has been rescinded yet so I passed on this potentially dangerous situation.  My wife was less than enthused by my reminiscing but since she was headed to shop she bore up under my assault of nostalgia.

One of the other impressions as we traveled through Nashua was that I could not believe how much had changed.  The sleepy road from Milford to Nashua had been transformed into an almost continuous series of strip malls along with what seemed to be dozens of traffic lights.  While this was frustrating to drive through my wife was extremely pleased with the shopping opportunities offered.  The trip to Best Buy proved fruitless but my wife was ready with a list of stores we should hit on the way back to Keene.

We compromised and had her pick out one store that she just had to visit.  She promised she would only be ten minutes while my friend and I waited in the car.  My friend and I laughed out loud at the prospect that she would only take ten minutes.  Forty-five minutes later she emerged apologetic but burdened with some of the needed buys.  My friend and I had used the time to use my I-phone to check on nearby stores to confirm that the TV we were looking for wasn’t available.

We stopped for lunch at a place called Joey’s Diner which featured a very energetic waiter named Siegfried.  He was a lot of fun and the food was good and the companionship better.  I really liked the décor of the place which had a car emerging from the wall.  After a stop off to release a very appreciative Buddy my wife dropped off my friend and I at the Elm City Brewery while she headed for some of her favorite Keene shopping haunts.

My friend and I linked up with our favorite bartender who remembered what my drink order was even though we hadn’t been there in months.  We arrived just in time to see the start of a very entertaining college football game.  Alabama and Georgia were playing to see who would play Notre Dame in the college championship game.  I kind of lost track of time and the number of beers heading downrange but before we knew it we watching a subsequent game and the question came up, “Where was my wife?”.

It had been nearly five hours and when I called her she was incredulous that it was after 8pm as she had lost track of time as well having as much fun as we were.  She finally arrived at the bar and sent some challenging looks at the attentive bar tender (who’s young enough to be my daughter). A very entertaining dinner at Margaritas followed.  We ended the night back at my friend’s house where we watched a movie that he had given to me as a joke birthday gift.  It was a movie called The Arousers which was showing at an adult drive in theater when we were young.  It became legendary when the marquee listed it as The Grousers.  We were trying to figure out what a “grouser” was for a long time.  We all laughed at the time and one of our other friends, now in Pittsburgh never misses a chance to remind us about it.  It was an old Roger Corman movie that seemed incredibly tame by nowadays standards and could be possibly one of the worst movies ever made. It was a fitting end to a great day.
An Earlier Photo of Keene Friend and Favorite Bartender
Dinner at Margarita's

No comments:

Post a Comment