Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Rap

Union Party Yesterday
Christmas preparation continues apace and I could not be happier.  We had the union Christmas party at the office today combined with the union elections.  It was an interesting dichotomy of activities.  All the candidates wore suit coat and tie and if that was not jarring enough they were even nice to the management side.  That’s one of the best things about Christmas – everybody seems to be in a good mood.

Everybody it seems except those issuing a firestorm of criticism yesterday about Kanye West’s performance during the Hurricane Sandy benefit.  Anybody that knows me also knows that I hate rap music with a passion only rivaled by my hatred of shopping.  I proudly claim to have never consciously listened to a complete rap “song”.  I always cede control of the car radio to my daughter (like I had a choice) but she understands the one iron clad rule – no rap music.

So, I am sure she will be floored to hear me defending Mr. West.  While his choice of wardrobe may have been unfortunate and in the past he has let his opinions overpower his common sense (picking on President Bush and Taylor Swift) he seems to at least offer a more coherent voice than the vast majority of his rap counterparts.  From what I gather he isn’t part of the rap culture that glorifies violence and racist rants against society in general.  He would seem to be a better role model than the idiot rappers glorifying murder and anti-social values.  He offers a thoughtful if sometimes pointed viewpoint. 

He willingly donated his time and talent to a worthy cause to help raise money for the hurricane victims.  He was heavily criticized yesterday, most saying he was totally outclassed by Springsteen, and the other performers on the Madison Square Garden stage.  While I hate rap music I can almost admire Mr. West and everybody should just relax.  If you think West should be punished for a poor performance then consider he has to go home to fame whore Kim Kardashian and that is a more punishment than anyone deserves.

I myself was punished last night by watching more of my wife’s Christmas cookies head into the freezer to preserve them for more deserving holiday consumption.  Buddy and I assisted in the preparation of my daughter’s favorite chocolate cookies.  We both ended up covered in confectionery sugar; apparently we are not finesse assistants.  My wife didn’t seem to mind but it was tough watching those cookies head into cryo-sleep after only a few stolen bites.
Kanye in Concert (I'm Told)
Thanks for Helping Out
My Wife Last Night With Her Latest Batch of Heaven
The Two Finesse-less Assistants
Buddy Lifted His Head at Last Minute So You Can't See His Sugar Covered Head
 

No comments:

Post a Comment