Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Reaching

A Great Christmas Eve
Merry Christmas to all!!!  My favorite day of the year has arrived.  I’m sitting here in a very quiet house (except for the two dogs) on Christmas morning, smelling the turkey cooking, and reflecting how different this is from times when I was young and most especially when the kids were young when the crack of dawn was followed by insistent awakenings.  We’re all older now and appreciate sleeping in but a small part of me misses the frantic descents from the bedrooms to the long anticipated session around the tree. 

This is the first year our son was not with us for Christmas Eve and there was definitely a hole in the fabric but my daughter, son in law, and sister’s family ably patched it last night.  Earlier in the day I went in for a short session at work where some of my employees surprised me with a huge basket of chocolate chip cookies – Merry Christmas indeed.  I then went to get the stiches yanked out of my neck and ear – about as much fun as it sounds.  I have an infected ear that will require some antibiotics for the next week but I no longer have to wear the neck bandage which made me feel like a healing Frankenstein’s monster.

We went out see Jack Reacher yesterday afternoon which I was dreading a little bit.  As earlier noted Reacher is one of my literary heroes and I didn’t think there was anyway a pipsqueak like Tom Cruise could carry off the man mountain character of Reacher.  I was pleasantly surprised because he did “get it” and accurately captured the Reacher attitude.  It wasn’t a great movie, but it was a smart crime thriller and that’s never a bad thing.  Reacher’s legacy is intact.

We convened at home awaiting the arrival of my sister’s family and watched what has become our Christmas Eve tradition of Love Actually.  A smart movie that celebrates the importance and pervasive quality of love in the human condition – I kind of like that.

It really seemed like Christmas Eve when my sister arrived.  Buddy had his cousin Bailey to charge around the house with which happened immediately.  We humans took up station around the kitchen and proceeded to catch up.  This is the best part of Christmas for me.  Sitting around a table with the people I love most in the world and just flat enjoying each other’s company.  I hope you who are reading this are afforded the same opportunity – it is the elixir of the gods.  Merry Christmas!!!
A Basket of Cookies from my Employees - Well Alright!
He Somehow Pulled it Off!
Buddy Antlering Up for the Holiday
My Wife Making Chrismas Eve Brownies for My Son In Law
My Daughter, Brother in Law and Sister Last Night
My Wife and her Panama Bread Talking to Family
She Trusted me Cooking this While She Went to Church
Sharing her Amazement with Family

No comments:

Post a Comment