Saturday, December 15, 2012

Confronting Evil


There are no words to describe the horror I felt when I heard the details of the unspeakable tragedy in nearby Connecticut.  My prayers are with the families that will have to deal with empty spots in their hearts for the rest of their lives.  As I stated earlier when I wrote about the Colorado shooting I won’t ascribe any dignity whatsoever to the coward who perpetrated this crime.  He is beneath contempt and consideration – he is an incarnation of evil.

I believe in a Higher Power and I know that there is a powerful force of evil in play as well, ably demonstrated by the events yesterday in Newtown.  People seem to be rushing to push their political agendas in the face of this event and I feel more than a little contempt towards them.  Evil will find a way if it is not confronted, history has taught us this from our earliest records.  This is not a political fight.  It is a battle, as it has always been, of light against darkness.  Some people who are just flat evil and it seems society increasingly tries to explain, coddle, and excuse their behavior.

When a society tries to indulge evil we open ourselves to fame hungry idiots who take advantage of our pliability. Evil, in all its forms, must be confronted.  Good people, willing to admit there is right and wrong must stand against the darkness.   

I was very impressed with President Obama’s short speech yesterday afternoon.  It’s clear that he “gets it.”  He seemed very presidential yesterday for the first time in a very long time.  I wish his handlers would allow him freer rein to show the American people this side of him.

As we, as a people, are trying to deal with this tragedy I heard someone bemoan the fact that this happened around Christmas.  I disagreed with her immediately.  Now is time where we take time from our busy lives to get together and share the holiday spirit and that, more than anything else, is what we need.  The sense of community that we have surrendered in fits and spurts as the electronic connections of television and the internet have supplanted human contact returns at least for the small period of time around the holidays.

As my wife and I were dealing with yesterday’s events we also had to attend the office Christmas party.  It turned out to be the very best therapy possible.  While we certainly discussed the Connecticut evil we also shared an evening of camaraderie and holiday spirit with some really fine people.  Sometimes a hug is the finest form of therapy possible.  I’m sending the most profound hug to the survivors in Newtown.
My Great Boss Addressing the Party Last Night
My Wife in the Foreground
The Rest of a Great Crew
 

No comments:

Post a Comment