Sunday, January 31, 2021

Weekend Ennui

In what I’m taking as a good sign (and don’t we all need those right now) it seems January 2021 has fled much faster than any month in the benighted 2020. I’m sure the velocity was basically the same but it seemed to move by at a much livelier pace. Of course, it could have something to do with what was going on. We had a presidential inspired insurrection, the inauguration of a new president, the Covid vaccine slowly (way too slowly) making its way to the general population, amongst other goings on. I also had the daily interactions with three young ladies who seem to conspire to keep me young, at least in the psychological department. No matter how isolated and depressing life in Pandemia can be, it takes a BR3 smile or an FBR lecture on the proper way to play Monster to lift my spirits.

Wife Returning from 30 Seconds Outside
In a truly remarkable event, worthy of international media level coverage, my Favorite Panamanian ventured outside on Friday in sub-zero temperatures. The next-door neighbor had made us a dinner plate to thank me for clearing their driveway during the last storm. My wife thought to catch me as I was coming in from my daily ritual of taking down the flag but she mistimed her request until after I had shed my footwear. She then started the process (and it was a process) of garbing herself in virtually every piece of cold weather gear she owns. I was actually fairly impressed with the effort. I told her it was taking her longer to get dressed than it would for the 20 second walk next door. This comment was met with an icy stare every bit as cold as the winds blowing at the time. She finally ventured outside only to find the neighbor halfway to our house with the dinner plate due to the long delay. This caused my wife to immediately launch outside instead of spending the usual, minutes-long psyching up session needed for cold weather exposure. I was able to capture this newsworthy event as she hurried back inside. My wife is very Panamanian, which is to say tropical.

FBR Hosting a Virtual Dance Party for Us

And Some Fishing
The rest of the weekend, after two lively virtual First Friday celebrations with family both here and in Panama, was spent entombed in the Man Cave. My Favorite Son has me watching another DC series on HBOMax call the Doom Patrol which is pretty entertaining if a bit gruesome (its the dismemberments). I also watched an excellent new Denzel Washington movie, The Little Things, which reminded me of the many crime thrillers I read almost constantly. Denzel teamed up with Remi Malek as LA detective chasing a serial killer. I also polished off yet another puzzle, this one of Times Square. I became obsessed with finding out which year the photo was taken. Through tracing the information on the billboards, I determined it was 2013. That brings up the double-edged sword aspect of instant access to virtually all information. I was able to pinpoint the date within 30 seconds. There is no longer a viable trivia contest available, something I used to love debating with friends and family. All queries can be answered immediately, kind of takes some of the fun out of the search for the truth.

Yesterday's Puzzle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment