Friday, January 1, 2021

Very Good Riddance

You’ll notice (or maybe you won’t) that I haven’t been posting since last year. There is a very good reason for that. It could be because I am in a dep depression because my daughter, Wingman, and the FBR departed for their home on Wednesday. That, however, and for the very best of reasons, is not the case. I have discovered (more like re-discovered) that the best treatment for granddaughter separation is – more granddaughters! Shortly after my daughter’s family drove south my Favorite Panamanian and I stocked up the car and headed north to my son’s home and a second Christmas.

Very welcome New Year

Hanging with BR3

Have to Convince my Wife to Eventually Take the Numbers Off
The FBR’s departure was a tearful moment for both granddaughter and grandparents. My daughter reported that the FBR took to the couch and cried when they got home and then actually fell asleep which was remarkable since she doesn’t nap now and always fought sleep like her worst enemy (mom heritage). She eventually emerged from her funk, coaxed out by some of her recently acquired Christmas gifts. Chief amongst them was a magic set. She was very excited when she pulled out the magic wand but almost immediately threw it down in disgust. When her mother asked what was wrong, the FBR tearfully replied that it didn’t work. She said abracadabra and tried to transport her mother onto the roof and it didn’t work. Notwithstanding the question of why she was trying to send her mother roof side I told her it probably only needed some batteries. I don’t think my daughter fully appreciated the suggestion.

Tearful FBR Parting

We Didn't Want Her to Leave Either
Meanwhile, up north, we arrived to my son’s house and unloaded a very full car laden with Christmas presents for
my son’s family. Luckily during this process both granddaughters were napping. The nascent depression brought on by the FBR’s departure was immediately solved when my Favorite Son and ABFA walked out to help me unload. We were able to get their Christmas tree completely re-stocked with gifts by the time the gals awoke.

BRS Building with her Dad

BRS Breakfast!!!!

BRS Squiring her Many Babies Around


The plan was to conduct a second Christmas on New Years’ Eve day maintaining as many of our family Christmas traditions as possible. My son had volunteered, due to the pandemic, to miss out on actual Christmas at our house so my daughter’s family could join us. He had the option of the ABFA’s parents to enjoy the day with. I can’t wait for Christmas this year when we’ll all be together. Second Christmas morning was laced with a serious amount of fun as we watched the kids and their parents open gifts. The FBR called in because she wanted to experience it with us.

BR3 and ABFA

The Gals with the Restocked Tree

Sisters!
The BRS is the first child I’ve ever met who doesn’t move from one gift to the next as quickly as possible. She insisted to stop and play with each new gift opened. The FBR did not understand the logic and looked ready to demand her parents drive her north to help opening gifts. This means, two days later, the BRS still has a pile of gifts to open. My son and I embarked on the Christmas dinner after the abbreviated gift openings. We had prepped the turkey the night before and got everything ready ahead of schedule, which had the ladies in a bit of consternation. I even got the gravy right this time out, a sore point with my wife from first Christmas.

Princess Crowned

New Babies!

And a New Dress and Necklace!
Now we get to the good riddance part. We finally got to put 2020, and all the attendant gyrations attached to it, behind us. My son does not usually stay up late and the arrival of two daughters have done nothing except to enhance that tendency. He took one for the team though and stayed up with us to celebrate the death of the worst year, by far, in my experience. I mean, even the Patriots had a losing record.

FBR Decorated Grandpa

And her Abuela
It was a lot of fun celebrating with my son and the ABFA. We assisted my son in making another batch of his peerless sugar cookies. I know this doesn’t sound like a rocking New Years’ Eve but I will remind you this was safely inside 2020. Despite that we had a great time as baking cookies while drinking beer turns out to be a lot of fun. It also enhanced my cookie kleptomaniacal side to new heights. Cookies and beer, who knew! Shortly after 2021 arrived we were on a Facetime call with my daughter and Wingman which made the new year seem even more promising. A great start to a year that just has to be better, of course that is not a high standard considering the year that it follows but you gotta believe. Happy New Year to you all, I hope you had the chance to pass it surrounded by as excellent a group of people as I was.

Some Late Arriving Photos from First Christmas
FBR Art Work


FBR Coaxing her Grandparents into a Dance Party



Pee Wee Wants to Help my Wife Cook

Really Wants

She Also Wanted to Help with my Haircut



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment