Thursday, January 28, 2021

Friend Mining Payoff

One of the most enduring lessons I’ve learned in my rapidly accumulating collection of years is the importance of friends. It’s not a huge revelation because I’ve been enjoying their company for the better part of seven decades. That being said, I have to acknowledge that I’m not all that great at maintaining contact. I could use the excuse that my assembly of friends is about as far flung around the globe as one could hope, although I should say curse. I blame the Army. I’ve done a pretty good job of staying in contact with my childhood friends since my return to New England. Said effort has been prominently displayed here on Frail Deeds, especially around the annual birthday pub crawl, but I digress. The Army linked me up with some of the best people in the world and we shared a bond that is hard to describe to civilians.

BR3 Last Night Trying to Coax her Dad into Picking her Up
How Could you resist?!

FBR Playing Pictionary With Us Last Night
That being said, these associations are usually limited to, at most, a couple years, because the Army also has a tendency to move Soldiers around. A lot. The funny thing is that despite the intervening years these friendships can usually be picked up as though it had only been a couple weeks. I’ve written before about the Root Huggers, my classmates from Command and General Staff College. We graduated from there in 1993 but we still zoom call monthly and have had several memorable reunions. 
I’m wandering around this subject because my post from yesterday yielded the hoped-for results. The best man from my wedding has been reading the blog for years and when he saw the note in yesterday’s blog he sent a long email catching me up on his life in the northern highlands of Thailand. I did say far flung, didn’t I. Again, it was like no time had passed at all despite what photos of both of us prove. I look forward to staying in touch with him over however many years I have left to do so.

My Thai Best Man

With his Beautiful Wife
He and I were lieutenants together down in Panama in the early 1980s assigned to our first line infantry company together. We clicked right away under the leadership of a company commander who would go on to be a renowned special forces two star general. We were both decidedly single at the time and certainly made the most of that status. I’ve written before about the weekly routine when we weren’t running around the jungle with well-armed friends. Friday night was spent at the Albrook Officers Club hoping to meet ladies we would then invite back to a Saturday night party at the BOQ (Bachelor Officer Quarters). We then topped off the weekend with a long Sunday afternoon with our cars parked on the causeway (hopefully with some of the ladies we had met over the weekend) next to the Panama Canal, drinking beer and jumping into the ocean when we needed to cool off.

Sunday at The Causeway Back in the Day

Favorite Panamanian Getting into our First Car on the Causeway
My Favorite Panamanian entered the equation after a year or so and that put some serious brakes on some aspects of that idyllic social life but she was quickly assimilated into my group of friends. She and my Thai Best Man became close friends and we’ve often wondered over the years how he was doing. Now we know and it’s led me to promise myself I’ll stay in better touch because friends like him are too rare a commodity not to treasure.

My Thai Best Man at the Causeway
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment