Thursday, January 14, 2021

Interesting Indeed

I’ve written before about the cautionary note about living in “interesting times” which our current situation certainly qualifies as. President Fomenter was impeached, for the second time, for his role in launching the storming of the Capitol last week. I watched the House floor debate yesterday while working in the Man Cave. It was fascinating as both sides made their points. It was easy to see the ardent Trumpsters who tried to equate the BLM riots of the past summer to the insurrection. That was intellectually insulting and comparable to a fender bender equating to a fatal head on collision. Trump has less than a week left in office and has done everything in his power to diminish his own legacy to the point even Republicans voted for the impeachment. Trump was never presidential, whatever that means (but I know when I see it), and in the end that has cost him as he can’t be the wild man on the street corner yelling incoherent conspiracy theories. He is the president of the United States and his words have power; just look at the video from last Wednesday’s storming of the capitol. Realpolitik indeed.  

My New Overwatch Element
My first ever puzzle gluing experiment has concluded. I now have the FBR looking over my shoulder at my work desk. I glued the 1100-piece puzzle together and it now stands right behind me which is perfect. Whenever I have to change headings to my work computer to start a zoom meeting, I catch a glimpse of Granddaughter #1. Speaking of that worthy, she has bounced back from her debacle of social interaction earlier this week. She seemed like her normal self last night and was her usual bubbly and positive self.  

Sister with her Husband and Mother in Law
My thoughts and prayers are with my younger sister today. Earlier this morning her mother-in-law, who she is very close to, passed on. I know my sis is hurting and wish there was more I could do to assuage that pain. My sister had a very contentious relationship with our own mother and reveled in having such a positive experience with a lady she came to call her “second mother”. While I never met the lady it is obvious form the outpouring of love on the internet that she was somebody very special indeed. Rest in peace.

This will be the first movie review in a while since getting a handle on Tenet is not an easy adventure. It’s another Christopher Nolan attempt to thoroughly confuse the viewer. I’m sure he has a lot of fun formulating consternation and this would have been a blockbuster, absent the pandemic, as ardent movie goers (guilty) would have paid to see it multiple times to figure out exactly what the hell was going on. Inside all the twists and turns it is a pretty cool action flick featuring Denzel’s boy in the lead role. My wife picked up some interesting physicality the two share, such as his gait and gestures. Washington plays a CIA operative who is brought into a shadowy organization that is fighting a time traveling war with an evil Russian tycoon bent on destroying the world. Kenneth Branagh does his usual reveling in a villainous role and seemed to emit rancor. Elizabeth Delbicki is kind of wasted in a supporting role, I kept expecting to get more from her. It took me three watches to finally believe I understand what happened and that is interesting in and of itself. Don’t watch this movie a first time if you’re not prepared to revisit it in the future to diffuse confusion. I guess it really is a time travel movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment